@$&#%@^*$ Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

PLR

Reaction score
Has Anyone else had a cow reabsorb a fetus two years in a row? Also what could be the cause of the reabsorbtions?

Has Anyone had a cow that could no longer concive/carry a calf to term after a calf was pulled?

Also for those of you that have calved many a calf.... have you ever seen Fat like masses in with a calf and the birth membranes?

Thanks

Shelby
http://www.promiselandranch.net/

Never had one "resorb" a calf two years in a row.. curious as to why you think that's the problem? Was the cow palpated as bred and then later turned up open? Sounds like a reason for the heifer to grow wheels.

Yes.. I've had cows that had an especially hard delivery that never rebred. Another reason to grow wheels.

"fat like masses in with the calf".. are you talking about in the placenta? Located where? Sometimes you'll get waste material from the calf, maybe you're thinking of that?

Has Anyone else had a cow reabsorb a fetus two years in a row?

No - sold her to slaughter after the first.

Also what could be the cause of the reabsorbtions?

Do not care - sold her - and would do the same again - rare to happen - at least in this neck of the woods.

Has Anyone had a cow that could no longer concive

Yes - sold to slaughter.

carry a calf to term after a calf was pulled?

Yes - many times. Now I toss them to slaughter unless I figure it was my fault.

have you ever seen Fat like masses in with a calf and the birth membranes?

Do not know - can't remember - perhaps - if calf was healthy probably did not look closely at afterbirth.

Regards

Bez

PLR":232h9o4i said:
Has Anyone else had a cow reabsorb a fetus two years in a row?

we don't give a cow a second chance to lose a calf . we cull all open cows and cows that lose their calves after calving .

years ago had a tiny limo heifer have an enormous limi bull that died with two feet and head out to its poll, had to cut it out it was so big. she never bred back.

The local vet , who I have high regard for, told me that sometimes after a hard delivery there will be scarring of the uterus that prevents attachment of a fertilized egg. So, if you observe a cow going through multiple heat cycles, this could be the problem. There is no cure except to sell the cow and get another one.

Well for me it is not so easy for them to grow wheels....nearest stockyard is well over 150 miles and we dont have a stock trailer. Reason I am Asking is because one of my cows had a calf as a two year old back in 2003, huge bull calf 92 #. vet had to pull it tearing her vagina and causeing some scarring on her vulva. She shed the placenta as normal within 4 hours. We then Kept her away from the bull for a few months till she began to cycle. Then we put her in with a bull and she bred back on the first try to calve again in June. The Vet confimed her bred in about september. But in April She started cycling again... Figuring it was a once in a lifetime fluke I gave her a second chance and put her back with a bull. after carefull observation i watched the mating and determined she would calve in Jan 2005. This was confirmed by a vet palpation in Dec. well Yesterday I watched the bull take interest in her and watched her stand for him. Just wondering what happened.... She never aborted because thier has never been any blood on her hind quarters nor afterbirth hanging... So she must have reabsorbed the calf....my question is why? She obviously can breed back she just absorbs the calf before it reaches full term.

Any suggestions other than making her grow wheels?

Thanks

Shelby

Http://www.promiselandranch.net/

my guess she may not have bred, and only has irregular cycles.the damage to the uterus or vagina may be the cause. if she lost the calf even at 3 months you might not notice.a first calf heifer might get a little more consideration, but my opinion she has used up hers and needs to go 2003 until 2005.

PLR":2ybqwrfv said:
She never aborted because thier has never been any blood on her hind quarters nor afterbirth hanging... So she must have reabsorbed the calf....

Can a cow actually REABSORB an 8 month old fetus?????
Did I read that right? Known breeding date puts calving in Jan. Vet checked in DEC, confirmed preg to that date. No calf in jan and now bull is in love.
Sounds like an abortion to me. But I am no vet. Ask YOUR vet.

The cow decided to have something today...... Key word: Something.....

it is a Dark brown Mass that is very solid and lumpy.... We are having the vet out this afternoon(as soon as she could get out) The mass has not fully been expelled and i dont want to do anything to it because of the danger of further injuring the cow. it is obviously not viable. Anyone Ever seen something like this? ...i will post pictures after i go check on her in a short while.

Any and All suggestions welcome..

Thanks,

Shelby

So are you saying there is a mass of 'stuff' hanging out of her that doesn't resemble a calf? Could the calf have died a while back and this is whats left of it, decomposed? Does it stink to high heaven? No matter what, if this were my cow I would make a special trip to the sale, no matter if it is 150 miles away. Can you borrow a neighbors trailer? How do you take your calves to sale?

Ok heres a pic of what she expelled.... No it isnt afterbirth. It isnt slimy and doesnt stink.

mass.h1.jpg

Shelby

Oops forgot to tell you how big it is... About 4-6 inches in diameter and 3 ft long(if streched out).

Going to have the vet out to look and see if she can figure out what it was/is and how it got that way...

Shelby

Davenport sale is on Mondays and Toppenish is on Thursdays. There is enough cattle in Okanogan County that has to be someone who is going to those sale. Find someone who is going to one of those sales that has space in the trailer.
Dave

Picture looks like a not fully developed fetus. As to the other questions, Yes have had a cow that needed a calf pulled...cow and calf were fine, cow rebred fine has never had trouble since. Had another cow need a calf pulled 135lb calf alive and fine, cow survived but was never the same again and she went for a ride. No, have not had a cow resorb a fetus...especially that far along. No, have not seen what looks like fatty stuff in afterbirth of a cow, have seen it in afterbirth of horses though.
As someone else posted, borrow a trailer and send her on her way.

Katherine

The picture does not look like a immature fetus to me. I guess it could if it has been laying out in the sun for a week and the dogs have been dragging it around the house. Looks more like a misshapen blob of tissue to me.

so whatcha thinkin ollie? looking at it again it looks like a piece of reproductive tissue maybe? looks about the color of a prolapsed uterus that's been in the sun for a day or so... kinda strange looking

Latest posts