Cows won't touch mineral

Help Support CattleToday:

jallen

Reaction score
Using sweetlix copperhead 6%, they typically use it heavy. The last couple months they have barely touched it, what gives there. They are always on the salt blocks, frequently use them. Wondering why they would quit on the mineral like they have.

Does the tag say to feed with salt? My cows consumption varies with forage type and stage year round for what it's worth.

If your concerned about them not eating it then you could take the salt blocks away and make them get their salt from the mineral. That's what we do with ours. That are still getting their salt and also getting the mineral in their system. However they still don't eat as much of it during the winter.

That's what I'm thinking, I'm not going to replace the salt block and see of they begin to use it again. Is a salt block necessary when a quality mineral is available?

jallen":2ca5yfyg said:
That's what I'm thinking, I'm not going to replace the salt block and see of they begin to use it again. Is a salt block necessary when a quality mineral is available?
As in everything else, it depends. Some minerals specify that addtioanl salt should be provided, others don;t. If it doesn;t saw to provide other salt then the minerals should be enough.

The minerals need to be good enough, if it is, the cattle are qualified to eat as little or as much as they see fit. They know their mineral needs better than people can tell.
On one farm our cattle eat very little, when the same cattle graze the neighbouring farm they wolf down minerals. Soils are different.

Thanks for the replies-- I will be reading the label when I get home and see if it recomends salt. I've been on and off of salt with them, when I think about it I grab a block or two. Normally they use the mineral pretty heavy regardless. I'm wondering if the hay quality has something to do with it. I'm almost convinced that is part of the reason--I've got hay from two different people this year. One is clean as a whistle and off of grounds that are taken great care of. Fertilized twice a year with litter, limed regularly, etc. What every that soil sample says he needs to do he does it and then some kind of guy. The other is best described as crap--edible but poor quality. Ever since I have picked up the better hay the mineral use has been in steady decline.

The hay may be the main answer. We're feeding hay off of a freshly fertilized hay field and the cows barely touch the minerals. The stuff from the same field that was put up the year before we fertilized they went through minerals pretty steadily. (the fertility was still good, just needed spicing up after pulling the hay off)

jallen":34qyyqvv said:

The salt content is different in every mineral. I wish I could remember the brand we use but I can never remember. Purina makes a good mineral...not the wind and rain one but a different one. I would also get one that has good Phosphrous and Selenium content as well.

The only purina mineral I see around here is wind and rain. I've never had a cow touch the stuff. Sweetlix brand I by far te most popular around here, pricey but I've had nothing but good luck with it.

We had one that was Purina but it wasn't the wind and rain. I wish I could remember what our brand is. We haven't had to buy any in a while because last time we went to get it they didn't have any so we had to get a different kind to fill in.

We feed a HiMag loose mineral from early fall until summer. Our cows prefer mineral salt over the HiMag. They will hardly touch the HiMag if mineral salt or salt blocks are out.

Latest posts