cows out

Help Support CattleToday:

sambo

Reaction score
I just returned from chasing cows back in. Peolple were flying down the road with the cows right at the edge of the road. If one of these cows were to get hit, would I be liable for the damage done to the car? Who would pay for the cow?
Is there any type of insurance that can be purchased for this situation?

sambo":2pgtjw27 said:
I just returned from chasing cows back in. Peolple were flying down the road with the cows right at the edge of the road. If one of these cows were to get hit, would I be liable for the damage done to the car? Who would pay for the cow?

Good fences make for good neighbours and safe vehicles.

The laws are different for every state and province. Where you at? Someone may know - otherwise it is a simple call to your local ag rep for info that will likely be right up to datefor your region.

Play the game takes your chances.

Best time to find this out is prior to the problem.

Best of luck getting them home safely.

Bez!

First off, maintain them fences.

2nd, next time the cows are out on the road, park the biggest piece of equipment you have in the middle of the road and make the idiots wait till you get the cows sorted and put back.

Muratic":brbp7t6w said:
First off, maintain them fences.

2nd, next time the cows are out on the road, park the biggest piece of equipment you have in the middle of the road and make the idiots wait till you get the cows sorted and put back.

:lol: Forgot to add that. Last year I pulled the big hay rack out on the road with about 25 round bales on it.

Worked like a charm becuse I blocked the entire road.

NEVER leave a spot for the vehicles to get past - like cows, they will find it.

Good pick up M!

Bez!

Hi Sambo, I live in Mississippi and i've got insurance in case my cattle get out in the road and get hit. I believe it's a general farm liability policy. It also pays fot the cow if it dies. It's through Farm Bureau Insurance so I'm sure whatever state you live in should carry it too. You pay based on the number of cattle you run and how much land your farm consists of. I agree with the other folks that keeping a good fence is the main thing but sometimes things happen. Somebody forgets to shut a gate and you've got trouble.

sambo":2nfu0394 said:

You would not only be liable for their car, but as soon as they talked to an attorney, you would get sued big time. You would pay for the cow.

Yes there is insurance you can purchase to protect yourself/farm from liability, but if the insurance company can show that your not keeping the fences maintained adequately, they will not honor the policy.

I like Muratic and Bez's advice of parking something accross the road until you've got em back in.

I live in nc. Is there someone from around here who can put me in touch with a good insurance company for things like this. I've never heard of such. My fences are really pretty good, but some of the cows are just knuckleheads.

Sambo,

Tomorrow morning call your insurance agent that handles your vehicles and ask them if they handle livestock liability insurance. If you have insurance with a "phone" insurance company they might not handle it, but if you have a local agent that you deal with they can set you up.

Mine is with Farm Bureau and costs me about $300/year.

Never know when some idiot is gonna leave a gate open, or a bull gets a sniff of a cow in heat from a mile away and goes to the road.

sambo":ehipwmu7 said:
I live in nc. Is there someone from around here who can put me in touch with a good insurance company for things like this. I've never heard of such. My fences are really pretty good, but some of the cows are just knuckleheads.

Neighbour?

Ag rep?

Yellow pages?

Local feed mill?

Is this required in your state?

A little research is pretty easy.

Couple of phone calls and you are away to the races.

Bez!

My butt is covered by NationWide Insurance. They handle the farm, trucks, the whole kit and kaboddle.
I get a 10% discount thru them cause I'm a Farm Bureau member.

Sambo,

I'm in Alabama and am also concerned about the same thing. I called my agent @ ALFA a couple of weeks ago who said that I would be covered unless the other party could prove that I was not maintaining my fences and that cows had a habit of getting out. Only thing she suggested is that I come into talk to her about covering my general homeowner's policy into a Farm policy which should cover everything, house, barn, livestock, fences, etc.... I just haven't taken the time to make it in. I guess I need to try to do it this week. Thanks for the reminder.

Out here open range laws still apply (driver is liable even if the cow is on the wrong side of the fence) yet they are constantly shrinking the area. A couple years ago an eighteen wheeler came over a little hill and hit a flock of sheep killed like 70. He had buy them.

Beef11":zt3uwwvs said:
Out here open range laws still apply (driver is liable even if the cow is on the wrong side of the fence) yet they are constantly shrinking the area. A couple years ago an eighteen wheeler came over a little hill and hit a flock of sheep killed like 70. He had buy them.

That would be nice, but I don't think there would be an open range law in North Carolina. Better safe than sorry(and bankrupt).

sambo":26f173b4 said:

Sounds like your the knucklehead, them fences aint worth a pinch of dried up monkey crap if the cows are getting out you should have that fence along the road hotter that the hinges on the gates to Hel
Do you have a local salebarn problem solved. Bet them cows getting out got Angus in em come on fess up.

In Kentucky, the livestock owner is responsible. I checked this out with my Farm Bureau agent before I ever bought my first cow. Fortunately, since I already had my homeowners policy with them, I am covered for up to ten head at no additional charge. When the calves start coming and I get above ten, I'll have to have a separate policy.
Here's a good story related to me by one of my mentors. He had a large bull get out one night and was unable to find it. He finally got a call from the State Police saying it was hit by a car about two miles from the farm. He rushed there and found the police taking a report from a women in a badly damaged Lexus while the bull was grazing at the side of the road nearby. While rounding up the bull he noticed it didn't have a scratch on it. He pointed this out to the police who began looking around and they noticed there was no broken glass or skid marks at the scene. One of the officers backtracked the direction the woman had come from and found a roadkill deer about a mile away with glass from the Lexus headlights at the scene. It turns out she had hit the deer and tore up her car. As she drove home she spotted the bull at the side of the road and realized she could not only get her car paid for but make a little money off the owner, so she pulled over and called the police on her cell phone.

Lately, its been all the grass fires causing the most problems. VFD's cut fences to save houses, save more farms etc. Cutting wire is the right thing to do in that situation. I've stopped and patched fences and had folks stop and give me a hand. Sometimes the land owner shows up. We've told them to go on and check out their place and animals, "We'll finish patching this up for now......"

There are also lots of old wooden posts that get burned as well. About all you can do for that is cut some staves if there is cedar near by.

I'm in NC too and yes you would be liable if someone hits your cow, dog, horse, whatever. Plus they could turn around and sue you and you could lose everything. I'd call your ag agent and ask about general farm policies, like everyone else mentioned. They cover all your animals, vehicles, house, barn, tractor, and more.
Good luck.

Caustic, thanks for the insight? Been thinking about a 5 wire electric fence along the road front. How did you know mine were angus, they must get out all over the world.

sambo":s6hvyx9b said:
Caustic, thanks for the insight? Been thinking about a 5 wire electric fence along the road front. How did you know mine were angus, they must get out all over the world.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You really are new to the biz aren't you?

Bez!