cows not cycling

Help Support CattleToday:

berkbig2000

Reaction score
:( I have about 20 cows that should be inheat and 5 hefers that do cycle normally what could be wrong with the cows?I have not seen any cows in heat for at least 3 months.The heifers are 16 months old and are cycling normally.The cows are all 3-8 years old and in very good condition.Very good pasture and cows and hefeirs had the same shots 6 weeks ago.

berkbig2000":4j1958ah said:
:( I have about 20 cows that should be inheat and 5 hefers that do cycle normally what could be wrong with the cows?I have not seen any cows in heat for at least 3 months.The heifers are 16 months old and are cycling normally.The cows are all 3-8 years old and in very good condition.Very good pasture and cows and hefeirs had the same shots 6 weeks ago.

When did the cows calve? Is there any possibility that a bull got in with them and they are bred?

How often do you watch them and for what period of time? (an hour a day twice a day? 12 hours a day?)

Perhaps you have a good fenceline that the bull can run alongside them for a few weeks?

Call in the veterinarian and have a herd health check carried out. Good practise to do this on an annual basis anyways.

Bez>

Pregnancy would certainly stop them cycling - so this needs to be ruled out regardless of where you think the bull was!!!!
Other option would include anoestrus due to feed/body condition reasons (though you sound like this is not a problem).
Another factor could be the feed they are on - very high oestrogenic feeds can cause anoestrus in other species that I know of so no reason why it couldn't happen in cattle too!

msscamp":1kiodj04 said:
cowvet":1kiodj04 said:
...very high oestrogenic feeds...

Cowvet, could you explain this in a little more detail please? Thank you.

But the heifers are cycling normal, Seems the cows must be bred or you missed seeing them cycle. Feb calvers should have cycled for a couple months now. Cows are in good shape, can't imagine what the problem would be?

It could be possible the cows are over-conditioned, that is, too fat. Since the heifers are still growing, the 'very good pasture' is not a problem for them as they are able to utilize the extra calories. But for a cow, the extra calories just go to fat.

An over-conditioned cow can have similar problems to a cow that is under-conditioned.

Just a suggestion as to what may be wrong.

The surest thing you could do is have them pregged to see if they are bred or not; and then go from there.

They may need more minerals you may not know this but phosphorous will have a lot to with a cows fertility and your soil may not carry enough of it.In my opinion it may have to do with nutrition one way or another because when a cow isn't getting the nutrients she needs the reproductive system is the first thing to go.

Latest posts