Cows in the ... yard?

Help Support CattleToday:

ArrowHBrand

Reaction score
Got up and did chores pretty early on Saturday just like every other day of the week. About 8 my son needed a bottle made before he went down for his nap and my wife was just about to leave when we heard this "Moooo!". Man that sounded close. Look out the kitchen window and nothing to be seen. A few seconds later another "Moooo!" My wife yells down the stairs that that sounded even closer. I look out the bathroom window and a pair of first calf heifers are in our yard between the gazebo and the strawberry patch! I slip on some shoes, run outside, throw open the double 12' gates, and step aside as they walk into the barnyard and then up to the barn. I shut them into the south pen and then I ran out to pasture. The rest of the cows are still bedded down so the two escapee's must have been out all night. I found where the hot wire was broke, the end was a little blackened and it was a clean break. We did have a series of storms come through last week but it couldn't have been a lightning strike because the fuse in the Snapper wasn't blown. Anyway, got the two cows through the lot and back out to pasture. Wheew, that was a close one!

glad you got your cows back in w/o every one else getting all stir crazy and wanting in hope you still have strawberrys.. last week my jack who never gets in trouble decided it was his day push the chicken wire loose from the chicken yard.. let out about five.. i let the mules in the yard for a while he decided to go to the back yard ( which was fenced off) let all 3 mules in with him.. broke in to my grainery helped him self to a bag of crack corn... i was ready to put a boot in his but for sure... i was constantly going out side and getting him out of things.. end up tieing him in barn for a while till i got other out of yard he sure was a jug head that day !

Yep, been there and done that! We decided to not fence train one year, and turn the coming 2's out with the cows a few at a time. Notice I specifically said "one" year? ;-) :lol: :lol: Turns out we had a few ringleaders who broke through that damned fence every night for a week, and I got to round them up because it was my yard they were in! Finally, it worked out to where Dad got to round the little hussies up - needless to say, they were fence trained before they were released! :lol: :lol:

cows can be apain when it comes to getting out.i had 1 cow that would get out 2 or 3 times a day.an i never lost my cool.would get some feed an toll her back to the pasture.

we have one that gets out every single morning and shes gone as soon as dad isnt looking. she has about an acre around the barns that she could eat and that would be fine, but she chooses to go out to the road and eat in the ditches and i'm not down with that.

A couple of years ago we bought two "Western cross" feeder heifers from my wife's sister. They got 20 bred cow/calf pairs that were broken mouth off the range in Wyoming, I think. Any ways, when we got them we couldn't get within 30 feet of them so we decided to halter break them to calm them down. Great idea, but interesting process! Our cows we can get within 5 feet or so before they WALK away. These two calves had probably never seen people more than a few times a year and now these two people were chasing them around trying to get a halter on them. We got them tied up a few times with only minor injuries, to ourselves, but they have been the instigators ever since. They will get out and everything else will stay put. You go to chase them back and they go to right where they got out and go back into the pasture. It's more of an inconvience than anything. I have more pressing things to do than chase these two back in all of the time. It's not even chasing most of the time. You see them out, they see you coming, and they come right back and watch you repair their break. Now they know where they can't get through and will find a new place. We get two replacements they are gone.

Heck, I routinely have cows in the yard. Then I only have to mow what they don't eat!

When we first moved here, we didn't have fence around the house. I came home from the grocery store and saw two speckled Brahmans laying on the front porch. Cute..

Latest posts