cows dead in hours

Help Support CattleToday:

lee_co_cattleman

Reaction score
We have lost three cows in the last two weeks and i have another down now. When I find them they are on their sides and back somewhat downhill and appear to be having trouble getting up completey. Thay seem to not have strength to get up or roll back over. We have minerals out with mag. The cows were in third trimester but had not yet calved. All have been the older cows in the field. Anyone have any suggestions.

lee_co_cattleman":311r80tg said:
We have lost three cows in the last two weeks and i have another down now. When I find them they are on their sides and back somewhat downhill and appear to be having trouble getting up completey. Thay seem to not have strength to get up or roll back over. We have minerals out with mag. The cows were in third trimester but had not yet calved. All have been the older cows in the field. Anyone have any suggestions.

That's a red flag to call the Vet ASAP!

Assuming no gunshot wounds, predator attacks, ingested some very toxic plants or other substances, or some other mechanical injury, well...

Are your cattle current on all their vaccinations?

Could be a serious disease that attacked them.

Probably not he same thing but...

I am a newbie. We had our first calf on the 18th. Cow gave birth and could not get up, wouldn't even raise her head. After about 45-60 minutes I went to a neigbor and asked if he could come and look. He did and he told us to turn her around . She had laid down on a gentle slope with her feet uphill about 8-10 inches higher than her head.

He, I, and my wife grabbed her neck and hind legs and turned her 180 degrees until her feet were lower than her head. She jumped up so fast we didn't have time to let go before she was up. Within a minute she was cleaning the calf and the little heifer was nursing.

Was talking to someone about it yesterday and he told me that he has lost two cows like that. He said they got down and couldn't get up and they bloated and died before he even knew they were in trouble.

cowvet":pmjcloac said:
Call the vet - you will get nowhere on an accurate diagnosis over the internet!!!

:nod: and again :nod: !!!!!!!!

Alice

Latest posts