Cows condition dropping quickly (just weaned her calf)

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Have a Limousin Cow 5 years old always been an easy keeper. She was in good shape and a couple weeks ago we weaned her calf off. Since then she has dropped in her conditioning bad. Put her up a few days ago and started graining her and some good bermuda hay.
Dont see any signs of coughing, watery eyes, or any other tell tell signs. Any ideas?

Have you seen her eating and drinking? Is she stressed - pacing around and bawling for her calf? Is she in a pasture next to the calf? Does she have a fever? Does her bag look swollen?

Does she have the runs? Maybe Johnes, which can be brought on by streess. re you giving her too much grain? Can you get a temp on her?

Have you ever had a case of Jhones in your herd. I saw some dairy cattle that did...bad thing. Does she have bad diahrea. That could be a sign. Maybe she got some bad mastitis when she stopped being nursed on. Hopefully she just weaned a great big calf and milked her heart out. Good luck with your Limousin cattle.

Here are some more details
-She eats real good would think you were starving her when take feed bucket out.
-bag does not look swollen
-No Jhones in herd so far
-she was wormed and vacinated middle of Jan.
-Dont think she is stressing over calf she handled that well.
-We have been feeding her grain and past few days lots more at hope of getting her in better shape
-Havent noticed runs but have not watched for this as probably have. Did notice another cow in herd yesterday with diareha.
-No way to take temp
-Going to load her up in morning and take her to vet

Bad thing is we were going to take her to sale barn this week. Wonder how long it would take to put weight back on providing vet figures out problem?

I might guess Johnnes but I would probably phone the vet and find out for sure. If its something contagious you might want to know about that before you ship her off to the salebarn.

please keep us posted..

good luck

jt

Just got back from vet. No loose stool, little gas in the intestines. Did a blood sample said redcells and what ever he looks at under microscope was fine. Looked at stool sample did not see anything wrong there.
He seems to think she went off feed was not hadling the grain I was feeding her. He suggest putting her in pasture and not grain her and see if her system gets going again.
This make sense to you guys? He barely got me fit in this morning and forgot to talk to him about Jhones. Surely he would have thought of that? Not sure how you tell it?

Thanks
Donald

johnes is generally tested by a blood test and is not always accurate... i figure he would have thought of that too... did he mention giving her any probios? that might help ...

good luck

jt

if i were going to sell her anyway i would cut my losses and send her without spending any more money on her. holding on to them doesn't always pay, if you don't know what is wrong it may get worse.