Cows Calving in large Pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

JeffK-MN

Reaction score
I had some cows break out of the calving area and are in the large pasture.
How do you folks catch and help a cow when she needs help calving?
Most of the cows are older cows but 2 are first calf heifers. I'm trying to get them all back so that it is better for all but one just had her calf today no trouble at all.
Thanks Jeff

If they are where I can easily check on them I don't worry much. Mother nature made cows thousands of years before man tamed them. They usually know what to do.

Pail of grain brings them back for me, but mine are all trained as yearlings to come for a 5 gallon bucket whenever they need to be moved. Rebel leaders are sent packing. I don't chase cattle - I try to be marginally smarter than them.

JeffK-MN said:
I had some cows break out of the calving area and are in the large pasture.
How do you folks catch and help a cow when she needs help calving?
Most of the cows are older cows but 2 are first calf heifers. I'm trying to get them all back so that it is better for all but one just had her calf today no trouble at all.
Thanks Jeff

Sort them off with the quad and head for the corrals. You need to be knowing what that cow is going to do before she knows and it goes pretty easy.

Thanks for the info
Most of the cows come running for grain But the ones that got out could not care for grain at all.
I had 2 more calves with no trouble.
I also have a portable corral if I need it. But they are coming back in to calving area.
Thanks Jeff

JeffK-MN said:
Thanks for the info
Most of the cows come running for grain But the ones that got out could not care for grain at all.
I had 2 more calves with no trouble.
I also have a portable corral if I need it. But they are coming back in to calving area.
Thanks Jeff

Occasionally over the years I have had cows that will no cooperate with retrieving for assistance. I can think of two times where I gave up and let nature take its course. Ended up both times with dead calves but my sanity was saved. One was backwards with one foot back and the other was tangled twins. The only choice for the cows was get them out or get a bullet.

Latest posts