Cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

ChrisB

Reaction score
Bought a small group of bred cows back in March. One cow was usually off by herself. One evening someone stopped by saying it looked like a cow was tangled up in electric fence. I go check and she is standing there just kind of zoned out, you could see her twitch every time she got a shock. Unhooked fence and pushed her away and she just stood there staring ahead. I watched her for about an hour and just left her be; next morning she was back to her normal self. Figured calf inside her was pressing on a nerve that caused some kind of issue. A month or so later she had a calf via a hard pull - she didn't really accept calf, but let it drink so turned her out with the others after a few days. A couple days later she has another episode where she walked through a fence and was just kind of staring straight ahead. Decided at that point we would sell her for slaughter as soon as we could wean her calf. Now twice in the past two weeks she has the same type of deal only she is laying down. Looks like she is at the give-up state when a cow can't get up and is dying, but she is always fine again the next morning. Don't really check cows daily so no telling how often this is happening.

Any ideas on what her problem is? She is going to be shipped either way, so don't really want to have a vet out to see her unless he happens to come out for something else.

I had one cow act weird overnight, but it was permanent.. I'm thinking she may have had a stroke, perhaps yours has small (ischemic) strokes?
Mine suddenly got lost in a holler, seemed like there was nothing familiar to her anymore, when I got her to the corral, she'd pace continually, always staying close to the railings, and always going clockwise.. I had to put some food there so she'd be able to grab a bite on the way by.. Tried to get her to come away from the railing with a bucket of grain and it looked like I was torturing her.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Styq1RGJCzs

Latest posts