cow with hurt back legs

Help Support CattleToday:

bgdtn

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
One of our young cows (1st time with calf) was isolating herself, sitting down most of the time in the shade. This happened a week after breeding. She acted like her back or back legs were hurt. I would check on her and give her hay. The last 2 days she has been up grazing more. Her calf is weaned now. The bull is a Beefmaster and she is a Brangus. He is large compared to her. I suspected she was injured during breeding or injured by another cow. Today while she was grazing, it looks like her back hooves are contracted. What do you all suggest? I called a cowboy friend of mine who said leave her alone, but that was before I noticed her hooves look funny. Thanks. BG

It sounds like she has a pinched nerve from the breeding, however it usually is not the bull but other cows riding her while in standing heat.

You can treat with an anti inflammatory but it should get better with time. I would keep her in a small area so she doesn't have to walk to far for food and water also away from other cows so they do not "pick" on her in her weakened state.

I agree with Hillsdown ~ she should be seperated from the herd into a small area. If you decide to use an anti inflammatory, do not use dex, use banamine. Dex can cause abortions. I would not use the anti inflammatory unless she struggles to get up or goes off feed ~ then I would not hestitate to use it.

I would say it's a pinched nerve. We had one just like that. She still had a calf on her and started looking rough. We put her up by herself and gave Predep/LA200 shots. She is looking much better. Her feet are starting to straighten out. We made sure to give her high quality feed, because she didn't have much of an appetite.