Cow with ackward stance

Help Support CattleToday:

ksnewb

Reaction score
I was riding with my dad in the pasture and noticed one of his cows was standing in an ackward position. It had it's back legs stretched way back and it's front legs were stretched foward. It looked like a dog that was stretching out. He said it has stood like that since he got it 3 years ago. Has anyone else noticed any of their cows standing like this? Just wondering.

ksnewb":1ufj68w1 said:
I was riding with my dad in the pasture and noticed one of his cows was standing in an ackward position. It had it's back legs stretched way back and it's front legs were stretched foward. It looked like a dog that was stretching out. He said it has stood like that since he got it 3 years ago. Has anyone else noticed any of their cows standing like this? Just wondering.

Very few of my cows have stood like that for 3 years. If they do I consider it a culling point.( Especially if they won't move while I blow snow around them ).

Any more than 3 years standing like that and they are history!

;-)

I could be way off base here, but I think this may indicate some sort of digestive upset...I noticed this on one of our heifers once, she clearly looked uncomfortable, kept an eye on her for a few hours and she got over it. Three years seems quite odd???

I am not sure how the hooves are. I asked my dad to look at them.

Hi ksnewb. I hope you took my post above as a silly attempt at humour! :lol:

I am interested in your question as I have a cow that likes to stand in the manner you describe, but just for a few minutes after she gets up. It is really quite exagerated so when I saw your post it caught my attention.

I haven't heard of that much founder in beef herds, do you have dairy? Does it look like she is in pain? Does she move well? Does she eat/calve and do other cow things normally?

I did go check my critters legs and they seem fine. The only thing about her is she is a very long animal. Be interested to see what you find out.

I really do not know too much about the cow. Like I said, it is one of my dad's. The only think I really know is it is purebred Angus and it looks awfully funny standing in the pasture. I will ask him if it always stands like this, or if it is just when it gets up. Oh, and when I saw it, it sure did not act like it wanted to move any.

Also, I was wondering about the founder comments. I thought that only happened in horses. Is this true?

ksnewb":34rtymt8 said:
Also, I was wondering about the founder comments. I thought that only happened in horses. Is this true?

No, not just in horses. Cattle can founder when they are on to rich feed. They can founder on grass or on grain. We have one that foundered a bit on spring grass a couple years ago, but she is fine now. You see a lot of founder in the big finished animals in feedlots.

Victoria":21vouolv said:
AngusLimoX":21vouolv said:

I found it funny. :lol:

Whew, thanks Victoria! It is so easy to be taken wrong in print, I am still trying to find my online "voice". :)
I sure didn't want to discourage a youngun from posting in here!

I too thought founder was mostly horses and dairy ( where they are on hard surfaces ). I guess mine will never get that rich a feed!

Keep us posted ksnewb! :)

AngusLimoX":3myu22yr said:
Victoria":3myu22yr said:
AngusLimoX":3myu22yr said:

I found it funny. :lol:

Whew, thanks Victoria! It is so easy to be taken wrong in print, I am still trying to find my online "voice". :)
I sure didn't want to discourage a youngun from posting in here!

I too thought founder was mostly horses and dairy ( where they are on hard surfaces ). I guess mine will never get that rich a feed!

Keep us posted ksnewb! :)

Without a sense of humour you can't make it in this business. Actually, a person would have a hard time with life in general. :lol:

Latest posts