cow vet list?

Help Support CattleToday:

SJB":11xn196v said:
is there a list anywhere here of cow vets? i've asked my local small pet vet, but they do not know of anybody in my area?

You can try Washington County Vet Service there in Abington Va not far from u. That's who I use.

pricefarm":35rgi37y said:
SJB":35rgi37y said:
is there a list anywhere here of cow vets? i've asked my local small pet vet, but they do not know of anybody in my area?

You can try Washington County Vet Service there in Abington Va not far from u. That's who I use.
They are good, also Bill Fuller in Gate City, VA.

Ya I forgot about Dr Fuller he is very good as well when I used to run a lot of sheep he was the only vet that had the tools to semen test rams.

SJB":1592owf9 said:
i'm probably a 100 mile round trip from both of those. is that too far for them to drive?
I wouldn't think so I know Washington County goes to Boone NC and do some work.

SJB":k54feqa8 said:
i'm probably a 100 mile round trip from both of those. is that too far for them to drive?

IMO, your best bet is to call the vets and inquire about house call charges before the need arises :idea:

There are 2 veterinary practices most everyone uses "here". Either is a 80 mile round trip from my place in different directions. 3rd vet is 70 miles one way in another direction. Vets usually line up visits and prorate mileage charges among the places they visit that day for routine procedures such as Bangs vaccinations, spaying heifers, and preg checking. Makes the charge reasonable for everyone. Most vets bring along their own hydraulic chutes too.

Unscheduled emergency "house calls" for calving/prolapse cases can get expensive with a full charge for mileage. My policy always is "quit while I'm ahead" if it looked like I couldn't pull a calf myself and needed a C-section. Same for prolapse cases I didn't think I could handle.

IMO, for an emergency unscheduled individual patient, as long as the patient is ambulatory, it's ALWAYS cheaper for you to take the patient to the vet than have the vet come to the patient :2cents:

Don't know if the AABP(Am. Assn. of Bovine Practitioners) maintains an online list of members - the AASRP(Small Ruminant Practitioners) has a 'Find a Vet' area, where you can look for practitioners with an interest &/or expertise in small ruminant species by locality .
Listing on AABP.org would not necessarily translate into 'goodness', but would at least suggest some interest and willingness to keep up with advances in food animal medicine.

I don't use them personally, but one of my buddies uses Mountain Empire in Johnson City and likes them pretty well.

A.J.":sny95aor said:
I don't use them personally, but one of my buddies uses Mountain Empire in Johnson City and likes them pretty well.

That is who I use and I like them. I took one there to get an abcess lanced Saturday. Lanced, shot of antibiotics, wormer, and new fly tag was $68. I cannot complain about the price for vet work.

hillbilly beef man":3e3owvi3 said:
A.J.":3e3owvi3 said:

That is who I use and I like them. I took one there to get an abcess lanced Saturday. Lanced, shot of antibiotics, wormer, and new fly tag was $68. I cannot complain about the price for vet work.
Darn right thats a good price for the work. I would have expectged to pay that just for the office visit.

I had to get them to come in on a Sunday morning and do an epizomity on one to get a calf out. The bill for doing that and calling in a vet and a vet tech was less than $100. I was floored when they gave me the total. I commented on the price and the vets reply was "we make our money off of small animals because we know large animal producers are trying to make a profit, not spending every dime they have to keep fluffy alive for a couple more months." That was about seven years ago and I have not used another vet since. It is an hour each way, but even figuring in my time and fuel I still come out way ahead going over there.

Latest posts