Cow Udder Full and Tight

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
Simangus cow had a nice bull calf Friday night. Both fine but she has a huge amount of milk. Udder is full and tight. The calf just cannot take enough to give her some relief. Will this sort out on its own or should I get her in the chute and take off some of the milk?

Practice "Benign Neglect", it will come right without interference

I agree with Dun, if you milk her she will only produce more (supply and demand). Let he be, and in a few days her udder will go back to normal.

Ditto everyone else. If she is actually really full, the opening at the tip of her teats will dilate and she will drip. Chances are she had edema in her udder that is causing the fullness too.

Or, if you want to you could milk off some of the colostrum and freeze just in case. But that would have to be done soon after birth. Just a thought for next time

chippie":poezhqmq said:
Ditto everyone else. If she is actually really full, the opening at the tip of her teats will dilate and she will drip. Chances are she had edema in her udder that is causing the fullness too.

thanks, what causes the edema? Does it need to be treated to prevent it next calf?

Limomike":38tb54rr said:
Leave her be... as I always say.

that is the advice everyone is giving. I looked at her today is all. The calf has plenty of energy and is running here and there. It is also nursing w/o any problems. I think the udder is going down some now. Thanks.

inyati13":2xw5wdbt said:
chippie":2xw5wdbt said:

thanks, what causes the edema? Does it need to be treated to prevent it next calf?

Edema is swelling (fluid retention) and it is common. No need to worry about it. Happy that cow and calf are doing well.

rockridgecattle":ruf3w033 said:
Or, if you want to you could milk off some of the colostrum and freeze just in case. But that would have to be done soon after birth. Just a thought for next time

If I get a gentle cow with excess milk, that's what I do. Put it in a heavy duty ziplock freezer bag, squeeze out the excess air & freeze. I usually sit it in something that is solid so I can remove it easily from the freezer.

Also, I've had a couple cows that the calf just ignores 1 or 2 quarters. Sometimes I'll pen the calf a few hours away from the cow then keep guiding the calf to those quarters while it's hungry. I only do that if I'm worried about a lopsided, oversized quarter getting bruised or injured.

Its not common, but I have seen some cows with edema so bad you had a hard time getting any milk out of them at all. In those rare cases the cow and calf need a bit of help.
On the dairy farm we used to give those cases a shot of oxytocin to help with the let down, and I can't remember, seems like the cow was given something else, but not sure what it was.
Usually a very high grain and/ or salt diet just before calving can contribute to the problem, so cutting back on the grain before calving can help a bit.

Latest posts