Cow staggering around?

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
I've had a young cow staggering around for three days now. She's fairly heavy bred 7+ is what it feels like to me, the calf is floating around so I can't see where that is her problem. I gave her a heavy dose of Baytryil, MultiMin and some Banamine it doesn't seem to be helping. I tried taking her temperature but our TSC thermometer appears broken. She's eating hay, we cut off of the feed because her stool seems a little loose. According to her appearance you'd think nothing is wrong with her, and when she gets excited she moves good, you can't really tell she has a problem. I'm hoping our vet will feel like coming out and seeing what he thinks. But he had the flu bad yesterday and was thinking it would Monday before he can come out to take a look. Thanks for any suggestions.

Calf might be pressuring a nerve or nerve plexis. Although, if you palpated and it bounced freely... just a thought.

Possibility of borderline milk fever although not often in beef cattle. Have had jerseys in the past get milk fever pre-calving.....Wouldn't think so, but who knows. Could be a pinched nerve also, not necessarily from the calf pinching a nerve, but if she is pretty big, she could have laid down wrong and put pressure on a nerve. Then when she got up, and if big she could be a bit clumsy, may have just put some pressure on it. If she is eating the hay good, and the calf seems to be moving inside, the next thing would be as you are planning to have the vet.

When you say staggering around do you think it is in the front end as originating from the brain or is she just wonky in the back legs. If it is nerve pressure it obviously will be only in the HQ and usually they have a stilted stiff gait.

Ken

True Grit Farms":35bkm5pk said:
I've had a young cow staggering around for three days now. She's fairly heavy bred 7+ is what it feels like to me, the calf is floating around so I can't see where that is her problem. I gave her a heavy dose of Baytryil, MultiMin and some Banamine it doesn't seem to be helping. I tried taking her temperature but our TSC thermometer appears broken. She's eating hay, we cut off of the feed because her stool seems a little loose. According to her appearance you'd think nothing is wrong with her, and when she gets excited she moves good, you can't really tell she has a problem. I'm hoping our vet will feel like coming out and seeing what he thinks. But he had the flu bad yesterday and was thinking it would Monday before he can come out to take a look. Thanks for any suggestions.
How old are you?
;-)
:lol:

greybeard":2hmc9a02 said:
True Grit Farms":2hmc9a02 said:
How old are you?
;-)
That is funny

Staggering brings to mind Listeria. Used to be referred to as Circling Disease. But, they tend to lose the ability to position the food in their mouth to swallow. One or both ears usually droop.
Hope the vet can come out. Also, sign of rabies.
Listeria can be treated if caught early, heavy doses of Penicillin. But, if they get to the circling stage, I don't think they can be helped, not sure on that.
I had one - late stage. Died , vet had to cut head open & get brain sample to test for Rabies or Listeria.

greybeard":2ll9xavq said:
True Grit Farms":2ll9xavq said:
How old are you?
;-)
I'm surprised he has a cow with a problem.. you have to have cows before you have cows with problems :hide:

Nesikep":1gcttqdp said:
greybeard":1gcttqdp said:
True Grit Farms":1gcttqdp said:
How old are you?
;-)
I'm surprised he has a cow with a problem.. you have to have cows before you have cows with problems :hide:

Vince has cows. He posted pictures of a couple of bulls he raised. Granted, it would be nice to see what other stock he has.

Bright Raven":fduhus8z said:
Nesikep":fduhus8z said:
greybeard":fduhus8z said:
How old are you?
;-)

Vince has cows. He posted pictures of a couple of bulls he raised. Granted, it would be nice to see what other stock he has.
Blue dogs perhaps?

Once the vet couldn't make it I took a long weekend, heading back to the farm today to see the news. Dr Jones said his guess is laminitis and just hope for the best. I got a ear full for giving her two heavy doses of Baytryil. Dr Jones told me don't give strong antibiotics to pregnant cows, and if you do start out with la200. I never remember hearing about not giving pregnant cows antibiotics.

True Grit Farms":3uvm2j3s said:
I got a ear full for giving her two heavy doses of Baytryil. Dr Jones told me don't give strong antibiotics to pregnant cows, and if you do start out with la200. I never remember hearing about not giving pregnant cows antibiotics.

Vince,

I read a lot of the detailed manufacturer's information that is located at their websites for vaccines, antibiotics, and other drugs. There are often warnings about the effects of the drugs on reproductive performance, lactation and pregnancy. Many say the effects have not been determined. Personally, I avoid any drugs if I can when I am breeding and in early pregnancy.

I am not surprised that you got an ear full.

Bright Raven":24194470 said:
True Grit Farms":24194470 said:
I got a ear full for giving her two heavy doses of Baytryil. Dr Jones told me don't give strong antibiotics to pregnant cows, and if you do start out with la200. I never remember hearing about not giving pregnant cows antibiotics.

Vince,

I read a lot of the detailed manufacturer's information that is located at their websites for vaccines, antibiotics, and other drugs. There are often warnings about the effects of the drugs on reproductive performance, lactation and pregnancy. Many say the effects have not been determined. Personally, I avoid any drugs if I can when I am breeding and in early pregnancy.

If you read the directions, warnings, disclaimers and side effects everything we use can or might cause this or that.

True Grit Farms":1bsxhgxk said:
Bright Raven":1bsxhgxk said:
True Grit Farms":1bsxhgxk said:

Vince,

If you read the directions, warnings, disclaimers and side effects everything we use can or might cause this or that.

I agree. Part of that is their lawyers trying to protect the company from damage claims. I actually try to avoid pumping too many chemicals into my cows or my own body.

Here's the cow with the staggers, she's doing a lot better. I wish I'd of waited before I posted a question now. But I do appreciate the help, when the vet couldn't make it I figured we were in a bad spot.

Latest posts