Cow rectum a appears to be restricted.

Help Support CattleToday:

4luvofcattle

Reaction score
Today I had the vet preg check the last 15 cows and recheck one checked two months ago. On the last two cows, both angus, the vet couldn't check. He said their rectums were so restricted that he couldn't get his hand in them. The thing is, the one was preg checked two months ago and that vet had no problems. And on the second one, an embryo was put in about two months ago and had no issues. It is not the vet's problem because he does our cows every year. Something is going on with my two cows. My vet is puzzled and doesn't know what it could be. Both cows were very uncomfortable while the vet tried to exam them. In fact, with the vet using one finger in the rectum, there were signs of blood around the rectum. The vet wondered if it was warts inside the ructum. Any ideas? These two cows are uncomfortable and they are on pasture grass so their poop is runny now. If they stay this way and their stools turn solid as their diet changes this winter, those poor cows will be even more uncomfortable.

How old are these cows?
Do you use the same needle between animals or use a new one every time?
Do you switch rectal gloves between animals?

Has your herd been tested for bovine leukosis?

I don't think I would lose too much sleep over it, if you checked them the next day you would probably find everything totally different.
Ken

We've had a few dairy cows like that, maybe not to that extreme but similar. Not too long ago I went to AI one (jersey), and she was kind of like what you explained. I got her bred, but with extreme difficulty getting my arm in her (and i have a pretty small hand/arm) later the vet preg checked her and had no trouble what so ever. I wonder if she was just straining so hard that one time that it made it feel like there was something wrong? Sure be fun to have your 2 cows checked again in a week or so to see if they are the same way.

Latest posts