Cow Question

Help Support CattleToday:

SPJ

Reaction score
I have about a 1300lb black angus-9 year old cow. I have had her for the last three years and she has calved every year. But this year I had an embryo transplant done on her, I had her A.I.'d and also put her in with the bull and had her preg checked Saturday but she is still open. So she is either going to town or I am going to make hamburger meat out of her-which one of the two would make more dollars and sense? Thanks, Phil

Dun - this old cow is still in pretty good shape. When she came up open Saturday I decided to take her to town and sell her and buy an old heavy bred to replace her. But I thought I would ask the board which way would be better. I just wanted to make sure I was not making a mistake.

SPJRanch":1s5t8dvd said:
Dun - this old cow is still in pretty good shape. When she came up open Saturday I decided to take her to town and sell her and buy an old heavy bred to replace her. But I thought I would ask the board which way would be better. I just wanted to make sure I was not making a mistake.
We sold 3 weigh cows thursday. 1235 lb cow in decent condition was 70 a 985 in not such good condtion was 75

SPJRanch":1ekg9ev5 said:
Dun - this old cow is still in pretty good shape.

9 years old doesn't seem old to me at all. If she has good teeth she could have 10 more calves.

denvermartinfarms":1yf08b2x said:
Selling her is the right thing to do.

I am going to take her in tomorrow night. The sale will be Tuesday and I will let you know what she sells for.

backhoeboogie":2bcbixt4 said:
SPJRanch":2bcbixt4 said:
Dun - this old cow is still in pretty good shape.

9 years old doesn't seem old to me at all. If she has good teeth she could have 10 more calves.

When I took her to the vet Saturday, he said she had really good teeth and looks like she is in really good health. I thought she was one of my best cows, but we took her to Stillwater for embryo transplant and that did not work and then I watched her in standing heat and then took her to the vet where he AI'd her and that did not work so I put her in with a friends bull and he did his business and then I waited 45 days, took her back to the vet and still no baby. She calved on 1/27/12, I really hate to but I am just going to sell her and buy a heavy bred.

Did the vet check her ovaries to see if they are functionally properly if she has a large cyst on her ovary that could hamper her conception and be something that can be easily fixed with some gnrh

I think selling anything open is the best choice. You have tried a number of things without her getting bred. Why waste any more time and money? I would also take the sell her approach rather than have 400 lb of hamburger from a 9 year old cow.

At today's prices for culls you won't have much additional cash in buying a bred.

Good luck.

Jim

slave2cows":1yg12fd2 said:
Did the vet check her ovaries to see if they are functionally properly if she has a large cyst on her ovary that could hamper her conception and be something that can be easily fixed with some gnrh

When I took her in Sat. the vet just preg checked her and said he would not spend any more money on her and just take her to town. I weighed her tonight and she weighed 1430 lbs. I took her to the OKC stockyards and she is going to sale tomorrow. I will let you know what she brought.

I just got home from the Stockyard, her weight was 1370 lbs. and she sold for 80.00 cwt for a total of $1,096.00 after they took out for: inspection .15, yardage $5.55, delivery .45, auction .60, feed 2.95, insurance 2.05, commission 7.00, Okla. beef commission 1.00, vet fees 5.00, for a total of $24.75 in fees. So the check was $1.071.25. I ended up taking that money and a little bit more and bought 2 ten year old cows 7 months bred. It is still hard for me to understand how you can weigh a cow and she weighs 1430 and less then 24 hours weighs 60 lbs. less, but I guess I am going to have to just get used to that. Thanks, Phil

It is amazing how much weight a bull, cow, or calf will lose just standing around penned up for hours. Add in the fact that they are stressed , and theres your weight loss.