Cow problem?

Help Support CattleToday:

ousoonerfan22

Reaction score
We have a 5 yr. old black angus cow that was fine yesterday but today most of the right side of her face is swelled up what would cause that? We will take her to the vet if she looks the same in the morning.

I had one last season with a horribly swollen nose. I wondered about a bee sting? She was eating ok, feeding her calf. Next day the swelling had gone.

She's eating cubes with no problem and nursing her calf but the right side of her head looks bad.
You hardly ever see a snake in this pasture but she might have grazed over a bumble bee nest in the ground.

Mine looked like this - looked a bit more worrying when I first saw it, but the photo was at a slightly different angle.
628nose1.jpg

Next day:
628nose2.jpg

Snakes are still active here I killed a rattlesnake last week.
Had one that jabbed a sharp stick in the face one time as well and broke off that was a fun job.

We don't have any poisonous snakes around here, so my first thought would be bees. You can give her a shot of Azium or any other antihistamine if you are worried. But, if she is breathing OK, I would probably ignore. But, again, I don't deal with snake bites & don't know the ramifications if you ignore???

Latest posts