Cow Poop and iminent calving

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I can't remember who posted their theory on watching cows for small balls of manure and that is a sign of a calf coming very soon. It was on my mind Monday evening as I was checking some soon to calve heifers. We heifer #8 was standing at the hay ring and started pooping round balls of manure about the size of a raquet ball. I thought I would keep my eye on her. Low and behold she had a nice bull calf by morning. :banana: One heifer a study does not make but it was coincidental enough for me to watch the others. I will report back on the results.

I think that last week there was a discussion on here about it. Someone posted it as an observation.

Noticed that our cows start getting really runny poop just before calving. Have to watch closely though, depends upon which day it is, oat or grass hay day.

yeah I remember the posts, and he was ridiculed and made fun of....goes to show you that even an obscure observation can be valuable. I can't remember the poor fellers name. IMO, Everyone oughta pay attention, at least occasionally to what goes in and to what comes out of, their cattle.

Yea, I've heard of that Hoss. It is usually a good sign that they're close. Not just little balls but little amounts in general.
Maybe it has something to do with them getting that out of the way before starting into labour. :???:

fourstates":h9ewnsbo said:
yeah I remember the posts, and he was ridiculed and made fun of....goes to show you that even an obscure observation can be valuable. I can't remember the poor fellers name. IMO, Everyone oughta pay attention, at least occasionally to what goes in and to what comes out of, their cattle.

The real problem was his over the edge reaction to a little ribbing. He could not take a joke. I think everyone was willing to give his theory a shot but he could not let it go. He made several more posts looking for a fight that was not there. :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2:

HOSS":1dot04zo said:
I can't remember who posted their theory on watching cows for small balls of manure and that is a sign of a calf coming very soon. It was on my mind Monday evening as I was checking some soon to calve heifers. We heifer #8 was standing at the hay ring and started pooping round balls of manure about the size of a raquet ball. I thought I would keep my eye on her. Low and behold she had a nice bull calf by morning. :banana: One heifer a study does not make but it was coincidental enough for me to watch the others. I will report back on the results.

Similar situation here. Noticed a heifer with small amounts of manure. Next morning she had a calf. Never noticed this before. Happen to notice her and remebered the thread.

I haven't noticed a "poop" change like that (haven't looked either) but if you observe the cows enough and take notes on bag or tail changes you might notice some consistencies for each cow year to year. Another thing I have seen some of our cows do is lick their "flanks" just in front of their bags and around their bags, I have seen it from roughly 6 hours before to during calving. I can't remember if I read somewhere that that is a scent helper for the calves to find the bag or if my mind is just that fuzzy - but it makes some sense.

We have a cow whose calves every year are very active inside - she stands stretched out (like a showing Standardbred horse) and sometimes will stand with her hind legs crossed and her belly bounces and bounces. Hilarious

I luv herfrds":11vy4mp3 said:
Noticed that our cows start getting really runny poop just before calving. Have to watch closely though, depends upon which day it is, oat or grass hay day.

Yep, that is one of the signs we look for, especially if we are questioning whether she is actually calving or not. Runny manure, or small amounts of manure can be a good indication of a cow in labour, especially if she isn't really showing a lot of other evidence of calving. I won't bring a cow up just because she has runny manure, but if she is acting a bit off, or if I have a feeling she is calving, that will clinch it for me, especially on a cold night when I don't want to risk a frozen calf.

I luv herfrds":213ycr6f said:

I have noticed this as well! Great now when I am out checking I am going to be absessed with checking there turds. :lol2:

Will let you know if I see anything common. :D
Double R

It seemed true to our heifer that claved yesterday. Never thought about it before. Now I will be watching the rest to see if it stands true!

OK more data......heifer #3 was observed pooping round balls at the hay ring at 5:00pm last night. She wandered off into the woods by herself sometime between then and 6:05pm as that is when I found her. She was going into labor. Calf is born around 9:00pm give or take a few minutes. Two for two on the indocator so far.

Hoss, my experience is just the opposite. They get loose manure prior to calving. Been a strong indicator for me for MANY years. I base it on the fact that when cattle "force" manure - like when they are being worked in a chute, the more they go, the looser it gets. So, when they are going into labor, they tend to push out the manaure more often, hence - looser manure.
NEVER heard of them going the opposite direction - hard manure. Must be a diet/water thing.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1iz52a9w said:
Hoss, my experience is just the opposite. They get loose manure prior to calving. Been a strong indicator for me for MANY years. I base it on the fact that when cattle "force" manure - like when they are being worked in a chute, the more they go, the looser it gets. So, when they are going into labor, they tend to push out the manaure more often, hence - looser manure.
NEVER heard of them going the opposite direction - hard manure. Must be a diet/water thing.

My cows get grass, hay, minerals and water during the winter. All free choice. Hay is fescue, orchard, rye and johnson grass mix. I don't feed any grain or silage or the like. Temperature rarely gets below 20 here so they do well.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3spej3ew said:
Hoss - our temps get below 20 LOTS!!! and we also just feed hay, mineral & water. GRASS???? what's that this time of year. How nice!!!! Sure can be different from area to area.

Thats what I love about Tennessee. We have four seasons but none are extreme. We had one snow this winter of about 2" and it melted off the next day. A few days each winter it gets below maybe 15 at night but that may only be 3 or 4 nights.

We overseed portions of the pastures with rye grass and wheat during the fall for help with winter grazing. There is still grass all winter long (fescue) it just grows VERY slow so rotating in the winter is still important for us. It was 74 here yesterday and expect about the same today. I think winter is over here. Can't wait to see the grass take off and shoot up.

Latest posts