Cow Not Going into heat

Help Support CattleToday:

VtMapleGal

Reaction score
I have a 2 yaer old simmental heifer, whom is about 1200 pounds or so. I tried to AI Her last year, with no success, even with lutalyse and cystorelin ect. I am wanting to try and bred her again the end of next month, the problem is i dont see her in heat. She seems to be a low cow on the todem pole, very shy and reserved. I dont see anyone mount her, and she doesnt mount the other cows when they are in heat either (i only have 3 heifers). I dont really ever see a dishcharge from her either. My other simmental is kind of quiet in her heats, but usually one of the beefalo steers will jump her. My red angus i can tell when she is in heat every time. She is bitchy, and bellows and jumps my poor lil pony. Anyways, is there any tips or things i can do to tell when this cow is in heat? I would sell her, but she is my best looking cow, and is registered and i really want a calf outta her. We dont have a bull, so no option there, and i dont know of any simmental bulls in my area (southern vermont)

First thing I would try is either painting her tail head or puttin a Kmar or other mounting detection device on her. Next step would be a shot of GnRH with the same mount detectors on her. If none of that worked I would have her palpated by a vet to detect possible problems with her ovarys. Last thing to try would be running her with a bull

Some vets have portable ultrasound machines and know how to read them. The vet (or you if you are skilled) can palpate her ovaries and tell if they are forming an ovum or CL. This may tell you if she is even able to breed. Some cows are sneaky heaters, but she may have a mechanical or hormonal problem.

Not getting a heifer calf out of her might be a blessing in diguise.

The cheapest way here would be like dun said put a Kamar on her and I'd give her a shot of Estrumate or Lutalyse, observe heat for 5 days after the shot, if she doesn't come in heat this time do it again 11 days after the first shot and if she still shows no sign of heat within the next 5 days after the shot I'd just ship her. If she does show signs of estrous after any of the pgf2 shots you just AI 12 hours after observing standing heat.

KNERSIE":35bkco81 said:

The cheapest way here would be like dun said put a Kamar on her and I'd give her a shot of Estrumate or Lutalyse, observe heat for 5 days after the shot, if she doesn't come in heat this time do it again 11 days after the first shot and if she still shows no sign of heat within the next 5 days after the shot I'd just ship her. If she does show signs of estrous after any of the pgf2 shots you just AI 12 hours after observing standing heat.

The reason I recommended GnRH is if she's cystic the lute woun't help.

dun":325i4caq said:
KNERSIE":325i4caq said:

The reason I recommended GnRH is if she's cystic the lute woun't help.

Never use Lute, but Estrumate is labeled for treatment of cystic ovaries.

If she was cystic wouldn't she continuously return to estrous?

KNERSIE":28hg3h3m said:
Never use Lute, but Estrumate is labeled for treatment of cystic ovaries.

If she was cystic wouldn't she continuously return to estrous?

Not neceassarily. That's why I like to start with GnRH then lute if needed.
Estrumate and lute I are basically the same thing. If I remember correctly one is a synthetic the other isn't.

Using the GnRH first has just alwasy been part of the standard routine for me. Old habits die hard.

Ok i have the "tickets" you place at the base of the tail. What are kmars? Is the "paint" better? I will put one on her this week and watch, if nothing ill give her gnrh.

VtMapleGal":2uh257zw said:
Ok i have the "tickets" you place at the base of the tail. What are kmars? Is the "paint" better? I will put one on her this week and watch, if nothing ill give her gnrh.

K-mars are a pressure sensitive device that goes at the base f the tail head just like the lottery scratch of patches do. Tail head paint is for the cheap

VtMapleGal":3ifwpitx said:
Paint is cheaper and works just as well. I personally prefer the paint as our cows will scratch the K-mars off from time to time, but my wife prefers the k-mars so guess what we use. ;-)

My thoughts were a freemartin also. Vet would be able to tell. Sometimes a male twin is "obsorbed" and you don't know she was twin to a bull.
When you give GNRH for possible cystic, how soon do you Lut?

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2nyq2ldd said:
My thoughts were a freemartin also. Vet would be able to tell. Sometimes a male twin is "obsorbed" and you don't know she was twin to a bull.
When you give GNRH for possible cystic, how soon do you Lut?

If we do it at all it's 7 days fomr the GnRH shot