Cow Not Breeding With Calf on Her?

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Have a heifer that calved her first calf 5 months ago. Took her to get palpated and open. Have not seen the bull on her but thought maybe while I was at work he did his majic. So 3 days ago I pulled her calf off of her and tonight I get home and my bull has her off alone doing his majic. Anyone had a situation where a cow didnt go into heat while having a calf nurse?

Mineral was fine. They have access to loose mineral and the tubs as well. For the last 3 months I supplemented with 13% protien haygrazer hay and breeders cubes. The pastures have been so green. Cubes only one or twice a week.

I'm not surprised that a heifer didn't breed back 90 days after calving, especially this time of year. She's still growing herself. That's why I wean my calves from first calf heifers when they're 60 - 90 days old. She'll probably be okay in the future.

Rafter S":2erv98s6 said:
I'm not surprised that a heifer didn't breed back 90 days after calving, especially this time of year. She's still growing herself. That's why I wean my calves from first calf heifers when they're 60 - 90 days old. She'll probably be okay in the future.
She looks pretty darn good. I had put her up for sale as a pair but took her down. Wont put my name on a girl that wont breed back. Her udder is still pretty full.

BK9954":fy5g0ns2 said:
Rafter S":fy5g0ns2 said:
She looks pretty darn good. I had put her up for sale as a pair but took her down. Wont put my name on a girl that wont breed back. Her udder is still pretty full.

So are you going to keep her?

If she breeds back yes. I am selling her calf of this week to a guy off the internet for $500. It makes sense to breed her and calve her out again before I sell her. Bred cows are being given away around here right now.

Rafter S":2s408xnf said:
BK9954":2s408xnf said:
Rafter S":2s408xnf said:

So are you going to keep her?
This calf was jersey cross, not a premium. The next one will be a black baldie. If I can sell her as a 3 in 1 with a baldie at her side that would bring in a few more nickels.

I have seen girls breed back slow after that first calf then get on time for the rest of their lives, then seen some always slow. One of my best cows was slow on her second now she is speedy Gonzalez.

I had a heifer breed really late for her first breeding, god only knows why, but since then she's raised a good calf and caught back up.. she's due any minute with her 4th.. I sternly told her she better behave and catch up by a month every year.. she held up her end of the bargain, and this being the first winter she didn't nurse a calf through she actually has put some weight on.

kenny thomas":2bmuj5ud said:
Take the calf away for 48 hours and turn it back with her. She should breed and still raise the calf.
If the buyer doesnt make it tomorrow I may put her back on momma in a few days and breed her out later. Might make a little more money on her that way. Just dont want to screw up getting the cow bred but obviously she went into heat after I pulled the calf. Vet said it would change her hormones back to cycling again.

kenny thomas":3r1gjqyo said:
Take the calf away for 48 hours and turn it back with her. She should breed and still raise the calf.

I see the euro guys doing this for quicker breed backs, but with young calves.. What do they feed the calves for that day or 2 while off the mothers? Would be another noisy couple days like weaning time, going through this practice though.

kenny thomas":36h9bcf2 said:
Never tried it with younger calves.

Well what age are you doing it at? Has to be under 3mo to make any difference, and most guys would have calves spread out nearly that long from oldest to youngest, so Im just curious how it works.

Latest posts