Cow mean to her calf

Help Support CattleToday:

joe

Reaction score
I had to pull a calf from a heifer today. Not a real hard pull, but a typical big headed bull calf. Cow wants nothing to do with the calf. Put them in a pen together, she ignored him, if he moved toward her she would kick or ram him into the ground fairly hard. Tried putting the dog in the barn with them thinking she would try to "protect" her calf and mother up to him a bit, but not. Tried putting some milk powder on the calf, she'll lick the milk powder, but if the calf moves in, kicks and rams him. I milked her once and fed the calf. The second time I let him nurse her, in the head gate and all went well, just can't have the two loose together. Any other suggestion? I am thinking of taking the whip out tommarrow morning, and giving her a pop on the rear evertime she kicks, but the Mrs, thinks that will defeat the purpose of making the cow nice if I am being "mean". I was frustrated, but it is now becoming anger directed at mama cow.

I would put her in the chute and let the calf nurse for another day or two before I broke out the 2 X 4, but that is just me. She may not accept the calf regardless of what you do, always that possibility in situations like this.

keep feeding the calf the mothers milk, letting it nurse in the chute is great. the calf learns where and how to get milk on its own, the cow gets some relief, MOST of the time when the milk starts passing thru the calf something will click with the cow. if you can get her up a couple of more times, GREAT. the stronger the calf gets the better he can fight her for some milk. if she is mentally stable enough you and someone else can corner her and do the "aahhh" and stick thing in a day or two. you will probably find him nursing one morning though. i wouldnt really expect her to take to him over night tho. it might take a few days.

Have been there myself. We lasso and cinch them down to something. This way they can see the calf and get used to it being underneath them and nursing. Then we start moving the calf under her. Have a piece of pvc pipe in hand. Everytime she kicks the calf, whack her on the nose. Doesn't take much of a hit to hurt. Just think how much it hurts when your nose gets hurt. Same deal. Won't take her but 2-3 days to associate kicking the calf with her nose hurting and stop it. We usually yell no at the same time as whacking her nose. Pretty soon you can just yell no and she'll stop kicking the calf. Keep tying her for nursing until she no longer tries to kick the calf. Then try her untied for nursing for a couple days to make sure she keeps letting the calf nurse. Stubborn ones you just have to "bond" with.

Some heifers are just not meant,to be mother's.I tried everything on one,a few years ago.It didn't matter what i tried,she just didn't want her calf.I finally just hauled the heifer to the stockyards,and the calf i sold to the neighbour.

Hang in there Joe, don't give up yet. She just may need a few days to take the calf over. Does she have any problem with you fooling with the calf? Make the calf bawl and see if she shows any intrest in him. I'd keep working her in the chute a few days. She'll likely take him in a day or two.

Had a second calver that raised a dandy calf as a heifer and couldn;t have been a better mother. Her second calf was in her mind a soccer ball. As ong as she was in the chute she fed the calf, if it walked in front her she'ld try to butt it. In the pasture when we turned "Lil Orphan Annie" in with the others, she would hunt her down and kick and butt her all over the pasture. Put her in the chute and she'ld feed it. Small pen with just the two, and she'ld try to kill it. After 2 weeks of this game she brought &57 cwt as a kill cow, Annie brought $500 as a 2 week old bottle calf.

dun

Good luck Joe...probably take a few days of chute feeding; have you hobbled the cow and used the headgate?
Could be one of thoes cows that is better off being naked. I'd question the maternal abilities of the line. Dmc

well, I got the paddle out. A smack on the rear when she kicks, and one on the nose when she slams him to the ground. She will let him nurse, not happily, if I am standing there with the paddle in the "swing" position. After he gets full, and lays down on his side of the pen and makes no advances on her all is well. Now I remember why I didn't keep back replacement heifers the last 4 years. I have another in the pen that is sensitive about being nursed too. Some days are just hell from start to finish. Then I have the Mrs. whining that she doesn't need a bottle calf this soon into calving! I'd take them all to town today, but I'm afraid the Mrs. wouldn't load! :lol:

A few years back we had a calving season that it seemed like nobody wanted to claim their calf. Ended up having to put what seemed like all of the cows in the chute, but I know that's not right. Lost count of how many we did have to put in, though. We haven't had a problem since then, however, and it's the same bunch of cows. Go figure! :roll:

Sorry to hear of your dilema, I just pray I stay lucky.......my first calf heifers have started dropping a few already, and each and every one of them are good mothers (so far), I have two mom's that look at me with fire in their eyes when I handle the calves.

I have one new mom and calf that seem to be permenently attached through the momma's teats, the calf never seeming to let go.

I like that! :D

hang in there, or if you are tired of fooling with it, and not emotionally attached to the cow or calf...perhaps some wheels should grow under them............... :cboy:

Medic24":3nqd0ppk said:
Sorry to hear of your dilema, I just pray I stay lucky.......my first calf heifers have started dropping a few already, and each and every one of them are good mothers (so far), I have two mom's that look at me with fire in their eyes when I handle the calves.

I have one new mom and calf that seem to be permenently attached through the momma's teats, the calf never seeming to let go.

I like that! :D

hang in there, or if you are tired of fooling with it, and not emotionally attached to the cow or calf...perhaps some wheels should grow under them............... :cboy:

Went to rotate a Beefmaster herd Saturday and there was a momma cow that had decided she was going to hang out and have her calf in that pasture without rotating. She got buck wild and tried to take my horse out from under me. I ended up with a busted up shin from the ordeal. Suppose we'll have to slip a noose around her neck and drag a lesson into her. Most cattle are just misunderstood, but there really are a few with some loose screws.

Keep at that miserable cow, she'll eventually give in. I have a heifer in the barn with the same attitude problem. I calved heifers a couple years ago, so I totally agree, they are sometimes the most frustrating things. Took one a little over 2 weeks before she'd let her calf nurse without being in the head gate. I was getting so desperate, I was about ready to have someone make me a fake head gate for her to wear to pasture. They eventually give in. Next year she'll be a pro.

I've never had any luck getting them to take a calf that they dont want. Tried all of the above and bottle feeding was a whole he## of alot easier. The vet told me if it was an overly painful birth that they associated the calf with pain and with us wacking on them while the calf was near only made matters worse. Both of mine grew wheels!

let her raise this calf but sell her at weaning. Bad mothers don't get better with the next calf. sell her and buy a good cow.

alabama":2ebsy1mc said:
let her raise this calf but sell her at weaning. Bad mothers don't get better with the next calf. sell her and buy a good cow.
Well - another exception to the rule. The ones we have had have all gone on to be excellent mothers the next go round. Even have had the ones we fostered calves onto take.

same here, i've only had to send one or two to town for being crackhoes.

Latest posts