Cow lame Don't know why?

Help Support CattleToday:

taranr2002

Reaction score
We have a 6 yr old Black Angus cow , she has gone crippled on a back leg, 3 legged lame. I have her up feeding her good but I can't figure out what is wrong. The foot looks fine nothing between the toes and no fever or swelling. She has been this way about a week no worse but no better. The only thing I can think of is maybe an abcess like a horse will get. Anyone have any ideas?

well, could be quite a few things then...a simple sprain? a twisted muscle?

hows her claws?

any cracks, or softness on her claws, or any part of the hoof walls?

beginning stages of foot rot?

have a calf recently?

Stuck with a needle in the back leg recently? ie: vacinations etc?

as far as treatment goes.......you can........

do nothing and wait.

medicate with an antibiotic that would be a broad spectrum, that would possibly cover treatment of either foot rot, and or foreign objects not seen.

give a muscle relaxant/pain reliever and see if that will help to ease the lameness?

either way.. I wish you good luck! :cboy:

no we weaned her calf about 2 weeks before she went lame, she is eating good and we can't find anything wrong with the hoof. My husband is a horseshoer and he has searched her hoof over and can't find anything. We havn't given her anything yet, we aren't exactly sure about what would be best for her.
It may be in her leg just not sure.

yup,,,, because there are no obvious problems, it will certainly make any kind of diagnosis a real problem.... as it could be anything from the hip to the tip of her toes........

Good luck! :cboy:

And please follow up with us as things progrees or digress.

the kind of footrot our cows have apparently started getting comes on quick and doesnt really show any signs unless you let it go, then it swells up (IN THE BACK of the foot--i know, go figure!) . cow suddenly is lame and reluctant to put any weight on foot, maybe walks on her tippy toe.

If it's a muscle type thing or arhtirits aspairin can be a surprisingly effective help. One per cwt ones a day for a couple of days will pretty well let you know if that's the problem.

dun

Thanks we will get some asprin and see if it helps her. We have called the vet but he doesn't think he can do anything more than we can. So hopefully we will find something to get her well.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1zd4xr4z said:
Hey Dun, haven't you ever purchased COW aspirin???

Yup, it's labeled equate and comes from walmart. We all share it.

dun

Just wanted to let ya'll know it took almost 4 weeks, medicated feed and several shots but our cows is back with the herd and doing good. Still don't know exactly what was wrong but shes good now thanks for the advice.

did you by chance treat her with LA200?

also, another thing i always take into consideration when a cow goes lame is if she has been in heat. a lot of times they will get injured breeding. you said her calf had been weaned for about 2 weeks which would be right about on if she was open and out with a bull...

We used Oxytec. She should have already been bred back , we hadn't seen the bull after her in about 3 months but it could still have been possible. We are just glad she is ok.

Latest posts