Cow is Down

Help Support CattleToday:

Joy in Texas

Reaction score
This cow had her calf sunday night. The pictures were takened the next morning.Today the cow is down. She is trying to get up,but she can't.
She is eating and drinking water. Is there anything I can give her.
I brought the calf home. I am almost sure he got colostrum. But gave him colostrx early this morning. Is there any shots or anything that he needs. The calf weighed 100 lbs. The cow weighs around 1200. Thanks for your help.
10-30-06_007.jpg

10-30-06_009.jpg

sounds just like milk fever. infact id bout bet on it looking at that milk factory between her back legs. get the vet out pronto. they will put her on a calcium iv

Thanks Hawk and Alacow .Got the vet out here and it was a pinched nerve. He said she should be up in a day or so. I do appreciate your help.

Joy,

Glad to hear you got the vet out and came up with a conclusion.

I've seen what milk fever can do...something to keep in the back of your mind when something like this comes up again.

BTW, cute calf! I love baby calves.

Alice

Joy in Texas":rhk1oanj said:
Thanks Hawk and Alacow .Got the vet out here and it was a pinched nerve. He said she should be up in a day or so. I do appreciate your help.

You do realize that, until this cow is up, you will need to roll her or lift her with hip lifts? Based on the picture, you might also consider increasing her ration of feed.

Thanks Alice he is a purty baby. I have never had a cow with milk fever. So I never thought of it. The vet gave her a penicillin shot and a cortizone(sp) shot. Thanks mS. We have have turned her, and I know we have to until she's better.
The hip on the right in the picture is the one she is the one that is giving her a problem. I know it's alittle swollen.

My first thought was also milk fever. Generally with calving paralysis (pinched nerve) they don;t get up after calving but milk fever sets in a day or two post calving.

dun

dun":13lh60xn said:
My first thought was also milk fever. Generally with calving paralysis (pinched nerve) they don;t get up after calving but milk fever sets in a day or two post calving.

dun

Yeah, dun, that's what I thought...or at least made the most sense. I would've thought that when pinched nerve's happened it would keep the cow from getting up right off the get go. Live and learn...

Alice

Alice":2r0dq1ol said:
Live and learn...

Alice

That's the deal. The only thing that's dead bang certain about cattle is that there's nothing that's dead bang certain

dun

I agree about the timing for being a pinched nerve. I would have to have A LOT OF FAITH in my vet to ignore the possibility of milk fever. :shock:
Back to the question about the calf. If it received the colostrom, the only other would be to iodine the naval (probably too late for that) and anything else normally given to your newborns. Around here we give BoSe & AD&E shot.

Well thanks guys, but the vet came back yesterday. I asked him about the milk fever .he said he didn't think so. But ya'll have got me to thinking. Maybe I should call another vet out.
The cow still down. Today I've got more men coming out and we are going try to get her up.
I've been out there everyday ,just about all day. She is still trying to get up. She is eating good and drinking water.And going to the bathroom. I turn her about 3 times a day. Hubby says I'm not giving her enough time. Well I guess if I was her I wouldn't get in a big hurry getting up either. She won't be staying.

Joy in Texas":3i3au3d8 said:
Well thanks guys, but the vet came back yesterday. I asked him about the milk fever .he said he didn't think so. But ya'll have got me to thinking. Maybe I should call another vet out.
The cow still down. Today I've got more men coming out and we are going try to get her up.
I've been out there everyday ,just about all day. She is still trying to get up. She is eating good and drinking water.And going to the bathroom. I turn her about 3 times a day. Hubby says I'm not giving her enough time. Well I guess if I was her I wouldn't get in a big hurry getting up either. She won't be staying.

Joy, another vet's opinion can't hurt anything, I would think. Plus, some of these vets have specialized training in certain things...I have no idea there's specialized training in pinched nerves, but ya' never know. See what you can find out...heck, call A&M and ask if they can recommend someone to you.

Alice

Look into her eyes. No it's not a hypnotic thing. If it was milk fever there would be a disporiented look, usually. Our vet explained to me once about pinched nerves and the position of the rear legs. Don;t remember it now because I haven;t had to deal with one in along, long time. But you may want to ask your vet.

dun

Are her ears warm? Milk fever (or ketosis) generally bring on cold extremeties, and the ears are a great thing to check.

i'm with the others. if the cow has been up and you saw her walking without a limp or anything i would rule out pinched nerve. definitely.

THANK YOU.......and that goes for all of you. If it wasn't for ya'll I would have lost my cow. The second vet came out ,She has milk fever. He has her on a calcium IV. Oh man guys thank you, thank you. And this little boy says THANK YOU TOO !!!!

11-02-06_011.jpg

Cute calf.

I'm not surprised it's milk fever, given the udder she has. Glad she's doing better now.

You are VERY welcome. that's what this board is all about. Getting different opinions. Some may be right - others way over the top wrong.
Some vets just don't understand that BEEF cows can get milk fever.
I would call the first vet & let him know. It might help him do a better job for another producer. Don't have to be snotty about it - just informative. They learn everyday also.

What a pretty baby! Thanks for the pic...and I'm ever so glad you called another vet. :)

Alice

Latest posts