Cow having calf on same day a year apart

Help Support CattleToday:

JeffK-MN

Reaction score
I have a cow that has had a calf for the 3 years we have had her on the same day or one day later.
She is a great mom and grows good calves.
Is there anything wrong with her? And would you keep a heifer from her?
We were told to get rid of her she should have a calf earlier each year. She calves in early may.
Thanks Jeff

If the time she calves fits your acceptable calving window keep her. We start breeding on the same day every year so the only way a cow would calve any earlier is if she just happens to have a shorter gestation that year.

Sounds like she is doing well. I have several that have one about the same time every year. Others will have one every ten or eleven months.

I don't care much about when they calve.. as long as the calf at the end of the year looks good... if she wants to raise a 600 lb calf in 5 months instead of 6 or 7.. I'm OK with that

Williamsv":1b7w89it said:
Sounds like she is doing well. I have several that have one about the same time every year. Others will have one every ten or eleven months.

Same here. 10-11 months is great. 12 months is good. 13-15 months if she raises a really good calf is acceptable but not preferred. But this is only my opinion. I only save heifers out of cows that calve every 12 months or less.

Thanks for the info.
She is a good mother and has raised calves 450-500 lbs at 4 months.
Jeff

Well assuming a 80 pound birthweight....and 450 pounds at 4 months. That's 370 pounds gain in say 120 days. Just call it 3 pounds gain per day. If she can really grow a calf like that I would definitely keep her.

Yes we do wean most of the calves at 4 mouths. We have a small herd of 10 cows mostly angus and one simmental and one charolais.
We have held some in the past we keep some for 6 mouths and got less per. pound. But the cost of feed and space worked out to sell early just worked out.
Thanks for the info Jeff

A 365 day calving interval is a goal to strive for. Herd avgs can often get into the high 300s and even 400+ days. So if you're not playing around with bull turn out dates, and are having cows calve on the year - You're doing good.

I have some spread out myself and have a herd avg of 388 days currently, but I also pushed my bull turn out back a couple weeks the last 2 yrs, in hopes of better weather.

And yes, the bigger calves will get less per pound, but there's more pounds to sell.

4 months = 400 lbs @ $2 = 800 dollars
6 months = 600 lbs @ 1.80 = 1080 dollars

So if they're only grazing and you're not paying for feed, it's def worth it. Make the cows work. COG @ 80cents = 160 dollars, so you'd still come out ahead feeding it.. Even a cost of gain of $1 is 200 bux, and you'd still make 80 more dollars. X 10 calves is an extra calf worth of weight to sell.

I agree with SD. While you're right that light calves will almost always bring more per pound than heavier ones, the heavier ones will usually bring enough to make up the difference. That's assuming that all it's costing you is milk and grass to put on the extra weight. Of course everyone's situation is different, so that might not be true for you. And if you just want to wean them at 4 months anyway, they're yours and you can manage them however you want, but there's a good chance you're leaving money on the table.

I agree with SD and Rafter on heavyweight calves brought more money than lightweight calves do.

Depends on the calves and the market ultimately though. I've seen 450 lb calves bring 1500 and I've seen 650 lb calves bring 1400 this fall.

I've also seen better 650 lb calves bring 2200.. So it all depends.

Supa Dexta":eo7chi9o said:
Depends on the calves and the market ultimately though. I've seen 450 lb calves bring 1500 and I've seen 650 lb calves bring 1400 this fall.

I've also seen better 650 lb calves bring 2200.. So it all depends.
Yes you're right but the feeder price is also changing daily. To be honest I never seen a 450lbs calf brings more money than a 650lbs calf on same day at same sale barn.

We sold 2 steers that weighed 465 pounds each and they sold for $1125 each at $2.42 they were 41/2 months old.
The same day we sold a heifer that was 784 pounds and got $996/ $1.27 she was 6 months old.
I know that heifers are less then steers but if I had known she only was that price I would have broght her back. She sold before I got back to the sale.
Thanks Jeff

Latest posts