Cow had a stroke?

Help Support CattleToday:

JenkinsFarm7

Reaction score
Eight days ago I had a cow get stuck in a pond (mud), I don't know for how long exactly because I fed at 5pm left about 8'ish and wasn't back at the farm until 12pm the next day, she came to feed. Anyway, we retrieved the cow from the pond with the loader placed her on dry ground with some sweet feed to give her some energy. Two hours pass she still didn't get up but was trying a little. Before dark we lifted her back up and placed her in a pen under cover with fresh H2O, feed, hay and some LA300.
Every day we lifted her with the tractor because she can't get up on her own but after three days she started putting pressure on her legs all except the passenger side front just above the hoof. This joint stays bent and her right side eye also has an issue like she is squinting or something.We called the vet she wasn't real sure of the issue torn ACL or possible sprain ect...... now here it is day eight and i get the feeling all I'm doing is keeping her alive without any chance her getting better. Info: She's a 12 year old Angus cow with a healthy past 250# calf @ side.The day she got stuck Ambient temp was around 72F during the day What do ya'll think? Any experience? :bang: :bang: :???:

Thanks

The description of her eye being squinty makes me think it could be something else.
Is she swallowing? Is she chewing? Is she drooling a lot? When you look straight at her face, does it look lopsided, a little droopy maybe?

Several years ago we had a bout of listeriosis, and those issues combined with the inability to walk straight were the symptoms. I think I documented most of it on these boards. Doc diagnosed the first one as having had a stroke, and we put her down. Then about 2 weeks later, if I remember right, a second one came down with it and a couple weeks later a third cow came down with it. We saved those two cows, but it was a lot of work & penicillin.

Edited to add: after the 2nd cow came down with it, doc said the first one most likely did not have a stroke but also had listeriosis. She was much more debilitated and I doubt we could have saved her if we knew what she had. The poor things would put most of their muzzles in water, trying to get a drink but they couldn't swallow well. We bought a pump and pumped liquid nutrients into them.

Drinking approx 13 gal H2O a day eating feed and hay like a champ. Chewing her cud. Cant say I notice her face being droopy.

JenkinsFarm7":3b6uwfix said:
Drinking approx 13 gal H2O a day eating feed and hay like a champ. Chewing her cud. Cant say I notice her face being droopy.

That's good, I think you can rule out the listeriosis.

I had a purebred Angus cow who developed seizures and eventually appeared to have had a stroke, at which point I had her put down. On that last day she couldn't equally control her legs on her right side, her eye was squinty as I imagine you're describing and she couldn't walk in a straight line.

I didn't always see the seizures but at the beginning kept finding her on the wrong side of electric fences, through which she must have fallen. Sometimes she'd be muddy all down one side. When I saw her go down, it explained all those observations.

She was ten, had a good calf as well, which I bottle-fed for a while afterwards until he was weanable.

I tried to have her brain examined, but the vet stuffed it up (didn't preserve it appropriately) and I got no results.

Thanks for all the helpful information, symptoms indicate a stroke due to her inability to now control her legs. So I now have some decisions to make.

Latest posts