Cow foaming at mouth

Help Support CattleToday:

Kell-inKY

Reaction score
Had a sick cow last week, vet gave me a couple of shots and she seemed to get better, tonight I noticed her foaming at the mouth chewing her cud. Last week the vet said summertime pneumonia (I think that's what he called it) or something related to the increase in heat and humidity. She was panting and had a LOT of snot and mucous. Then I noticed a few other cows seemed sick with runny noses but they recovered quickly.

So back to the cow, she has a month old calf at her side (her first), and they have all been moved to a new pasture 2 weeks ago that has quite a bit of clover (pasture bloat?), but nobody else is foaming, and isn't it late in the year for that? I wormed them recently with a safeguard block.

Any ideas, I am calling the vet in the morning but am getting a little concerned. Thanks

Just my thought and is worth what it will cost you. I would say that if she was sick last week it may be some leftover issues from that. But yes call the vet.

I agree with Kenny, she needs the vet.
I also would not rely on a block for worming. Might be just me, but I want to know what dose they are getting. No way to know that with a block.

years ago we had several cows (one a year it seemed) come down with an atypical pneumonia called "panter"... it happened during the hottest spells of the summer, and only while on grass.. at the time there wasn't any known cure for it, though I suspect nuflor or draxxin may be effective against it now. They would foam at the mouth, stop eating, drinking, chewing cud, and go downhill fast.. few lasted a week... we lost 3 of our best cows to it... we suspected it had something to do with the horses that were on the place before we bought it... it's been 20 years now since we've had a case.. (cross fingers).

I'm curious to know what a vet says about it.

WOW same story here in west Michigan, it heated up and have 2 sick cows with the same thing, and funny thing is mine just had the safe gaurdblocks also, then it got hot and humid, mine also have calves on there side, had the vet out and he said pheumonia, gave both a shot behind the ear with anitibiotics I think it was called exceed,1 shot should last 10 days, 2 cows and calf had a fever, gone now and they seemed good but today was real hot and very humid and they both had a little drool and breathing a little heavey, now one of the cows does not seem to have much milk been trying to bottle feed the calf but he does not take to it, don't mean to hijack your thread but so many similarities , hope all works out for you

See it quite often in pigs when it heats up, and humidity goes up, if your not moving enough air to lower the humibity. Strong hit with some Antibiotics usually gets them half way normal, but won't be fully recovered till you lower the humidity, or heat. You'll probably see it come back the next time you get the same weather factors.