Cow fell into mud..

Help Support CattleToday:

Daddscows

Reaction score
One of our mother cows fell into a mud hole.. This is our first time owning cows.. And we manage to get her out of the hole. She is now just laying by a tree eating and drinking normally but she can't seem to stand up.. It's been about 5 days and we don't know how to get her legs moving again. We don't want to have to put her down.. But we don't know why else to do.

5 days is a long time. There are others that know more then me here but I would say it doesn't look promising.

BTW, Welcome to the boards

Since nobody else is joining in I'll give my :2cents: . It sound to me like you have a spinal injury. Have you tried to move her or maybe lift her with a tractor or something similar? Like I said though, 5 days is a long time to not attempt getting up and it doesn't sound good at all to me. Do a search for lifting cows and you will find some discussions on this procedure

5 days is a long time for her not to get up, if you have a tractor with a front end loader i would get her up with a sling. I don't really like hip lifts. We made our own out of chain and rubber mats put one under her front legs and the other right in front of her back legs and get her circulation going if it will. I know our local vet will loan their sling out the people you might want to check and see if your does. Good luck hope this helps, we had a cow fall into a creek after having milk fever had a hard time getting her out.

Latest posts