cow down

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I put A 2 year old bull in with my cows two weeks ago. One of my 3 year old I found down a week ago .Called my vet he says she most likely pulled a nerve gave her a steroid shot and Dekasone .we were able too get her up but she would go back down after 4 or 5 steps. I was able too get her up too the barn with the help of my sons truck WE put a piece of pipe on hay spike and two nylon straps and lifted her .She eats and drinks sets like a dog but just drags herself around. should I try to lift her rear end with the straps under her and toward her rear ? I was told too just keep food and water in front of her and see if she heals on her own.

Ill tell you what worked for the only down cow I've dealt with. After a week of being down, we gave it 7cc of dex im every day for 4 days. On day 11 (4th day of dex) it got up and was back to normal. This was after trying to lift it. Rolling it. Etc. but it was my first and only time of dealing with a downer so take that with a grain of salt.

Have talked to my nephew who raises cattle has had this happen to him three times and two of them got up on there own the third one was older and had too put her down .His wife is a equine vet and she says the dexasone for a few day;s is worth a try. Will give it a try and hope all goes well.

Could be a nerve issue, could be a hip issue. If a hip issue, she won't get back up, and maybe not even with a nerve issue. I had a similar cow like this last year-made me sick-perfectly healthy except for not being able to get up. Banamine and Dex is the treatment of choice, and time. Just depends on how long you want to keep hip lifting her and feeding her

We have a cow lift, attaches to the hips and is lifted nicely by the tractor bucket. Had one slip on an embankment and had nerve damage to her hind legs . With dex and lift help and time she recovered 100% .

Latest posts