Cow down

Help Support CattleToday:

warden

Reaction score
Hi I need some help here! I havea cow we was working the vet was i must say, as she was going in shute she tripped and went down she acted as if she hurt her left front leg, we got her up with hip raisers the first few days she would stand for a bit but not long, I was out of town for a week and my buddies didnt get her up like they was suppose to , so how long can a cow be down before she wont get up? She can crawl she acts like she wants to get up when i pour the feed she eats good not sick at all the vet said she was fine just was mauybe weak . What should i do with her some say she will get up when she wants , some say get her up but that is teh proiblem i have a hurt back and cant even walk so it is almost impossible for me and i hate asking my friends to do it all the time she is bread about 6 months she is fine but she cant get up please help. Thanks

I would have the vet look at her again and see what his assessment is now

The vet sayes there is nothing they can do :( have any of you had a cow get down and not get up? I had two abck in the winter taht got weak, we had to get them up witha hip rasier for two weeks that wasnt any fun but thye got better. Im just worried that if she stayes down to long she will lose the use of her legs . Im not physically able at this point to get her up with raiser . Should i just shoot her or feed and water and see if she will get better.

She should be rolled from one side to the other at a minimum of once a day. If she stayus on the same side for too long it can cause other problems. I'm having a hard time with cows getting so weak that they can;t get up, just doesn;t compute.

warden":h8to6lf1 said:
The vet sayes there is nothing they can do :( have any of you had a cow get down and not get up? I had two abck in the winter taht got weak, we had to get them up witha hip rasier for two weeks that wasnt any fun but thye got better. Im just worried that if she stayes down to long she will lose the use of her legs . Im not physically able at this point to get her up with raiser . Should i just shoot her or feed and water and see if she will get better.

Does she have the look or is she fighting to get up, as Dun said make sure she doesn't stay on one side.
If she has the look draw an X. I wrassled with one for almost two weeks once and got her up, she was fighting all the way. I have also shot them the same day a lot depends on the cow if she is trying I will also.

Latest posts