cow down

Help Support CattleToday:

sslaton

Reaction score
Ihave been raising cattle for about 25 years but have never seen a problem like this one. Ihave a 5year old cow about a week from calving and checked on her this morning and she was sitting up normallly but can not get up. She is in excellent condition , she has had all of her vaccinations. she now has no appetite,and is ginding her teeth. However she is very alert and her ears are not droopy.Her bowels are functioning properly. She has also had free choice high magnesium mineral in the pasture. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

If she is grinding her teeth that means she is in pain. The calf?calves in her could be pinching a nerve.How hard did you try getting her up.She need to get up ASAP. CAll you're vet on call this weekend and find out what meds you can give her, or better yet get them out you don't want to lose her and the calf/calves.

She needs to get up no matter what.

what is the latest on this cow? is she in barn or out on pasture? if she were mine, i want to know , how she can get around, so i want her up, even if i have to hot prod her........then i can tell if she walks normally, staggers or what. vet is going to want to know.
this does remind me of sheep with preg. toxemia, carrying twins or better, but could be entirely something else. they always used to grind teeth.
it is something that has to be treated as soon as possible. giving birth usually stops all the symptoms.
i really would like to know how she is now...........

Grubbie- milk fever is a possibility; depending on how low the cow's calcium levels drop she may or may not display the classic head-to-flank position. Sometimes they just go down and don't have the strength to rise.

My bet it is a pinched nerve, brought on by the positioning of the calf inside of her.

GMN

I am sure this problem has already been resolved but,

Sslaton--- I have too, been in the cow business for 30 years and I have seen this problem before -- it is not a pinched nerve (thats nonsense)It is indeed Ca deficiency and you need to give her a litre of Ca intraveneously if possible and if you dont feel confident in that just put it under the skin at-- at least 3 different locations (rib area, neck (both sides).

Get a rope halter and put it on her put a loop at the end of your rope and hook a lead line to it and pull her head around and wrap your lead around her legs twice to immobilize her and get to it -- she will be up in 24 hours and eating.

Sim

(Tex just goes along with other peoples nonsense-- which I find interesting)

simangus23":1lnnkhi3 said:

Sslaton--- I have too, been in the cow business for 30 years and I have seen this problem before -- it is not a pinched nerve (thats nonsense)It is indeed Ca deficiency and you need to give her a litre of Ca intraveneously if possible and if you dont feel confident in that just put it under the skin at-- at least 3 different locations (rib area, neck (both sides).

Get a rope halter and put it on her put a loop at the end of your rope and hook a lead line to it and pull her head around and wrap your lead around her legs twice to immobilize her and get to it -- she will be up in 24 hours and eating.

Sim

It isn't nonsense, I had a Dairy cow with this exact problem, had the Vet out, and after she calved she still had partial paralysis from a pinched nerve. As I say this maybe it, may not be, but honestly, I highly doubt you know everything there is to know about cows and what can go wrong with them, instead of being a jacka$$ about it, why not just try to be more open minded and let people have their own opinions.

GMN

simangus23":1ydakk7a said:

Sim

The expert has spoken we should all listen. :lol2: :lol2: :banana:

We (meaning myself and my father a veterinarian) solved this problem ,it was a magnesium deficiency. We gave the cow 2(500cc) IV doses of Ca/Phos/Mag over a period of two days and now she is doing fine. She should calve in the next day or so.However what concerns me is the fact that all of my cows have free choice access to a high mag mineral 24/7.I think I'll be talking to my mineral man.Thanks for all of your replies and help.

Latest posts