cow down,

Help Support CattleToday:

trip

Reaction score
got a cow down, she's all bloated looking, been to vet, he treated her for inpaction, last saturday. didn;t do any good. went down today, ca'nt get up. gonna treat her for bloat. got any other ideas?

Assuming your vet was correct, you need to get it out of her. I'd tube her until I was sick of tubing her. And then do it some more. When it gets to the point that you're puking as bad as she is, give her some Carmilax. If you don't have Carmilax or Rumalax handy, I have used 6 or 8 bottles of milk of magnesia pumped through the tube. Prognosis not good.

we think shes bloated, we don't think inpaction is the problem as she has had numerous bowel movements. Old farmer recommends 1 liter of kerosene for bloat. ever heard of it?

certherfbeef":kby4ae2r said:
I would recommend mineral oil for the bloat, not kerosene.

Kerosene would make the carcass burn better after death though cert! ;-)

I use mineral oil too. Some in both ends.

UUUHHHHHH, a trocar is NOT a tool that someone asking for advise here should be using.

Heck, I'm still half scared to use a trocar. :shock:

She's been having problems since when? 3-4 days ago??? I'd either be putting the whole one gallon jug down her or else making a different diagnosis.

Where's your vet?

And how about some more information on this cow - could very well be something completely different. Age, breed, bred, calf at side, history, etc, etc.

vet treated her for inpaction a week ago, she never seemed to get any better, he said " Its just not moving through the rumen" we had to pull a calf from her on christmas eve,she was big then, but everbody said she was carry such a big calf, or possibly 2, vet said she would go back down to normal, well, needless to say that didn't happen. bowel movements seem to be a little dryer than normal.

She have access to feed and water? you say she's down - so she obviously can't get to the main feeder and water hole with whoever else she's pastured with. That might or might not account for manure being drier than normal.

Still need more information.

What number calf is she on?

And breed of cow?

What's her overall attitude and just plain how-does-she-look tonight?

You taken her temperature?

Once you start talking about a cow that just had a calf... there's a million and one things that could be wrong with her.

have yall done a cow scan to rule out a tumor?

what were the circumstances of pulling the calf? related?

she's blackwhitface, probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-12 yrs old. we'v took her water, gave her some hay, she ate a little, doesen't seem to be stressing terrriblly bad, just doesen't want to get up. when we had her to the vet, she wouldn't fit through the chut,she was so big. after he treated her we had to back her out. He also treated for an infection, she had gotten from having to pull the calf. She hasn't been getting around to swift since oh a month before the calf came. by the way calf was dead, head was turned sideways, till this year shes brought one of the better calves on the place.

Is she not able to get up, or does she not want to get up? Difference there.

And let's back up. Vet treated her "for an infection" - when? with what? I'm assuming he was treating for a uterine infection? She still have it or are you assuming that's gone? They don't feel that great with a raging infection inside, that's for sure.

Could always be her time has come.

theres a number of possibilities. the constipation suggests that she may have some sort of impaction. i wouldnt rule out a tumor or mass or some sort blocking normal transport. i'm not really thinking shes bloated. she may have some kind of cancer in there. or you may have done some damage pulling the calf, she may have something torn in there.

she's made a couple attempts to get up, but unabel to get all four feet under her.we'r assuming infection is gone, but she's just SO BIG, it's got to be something else.

well we know come morning. if she doesen't make it, shes been a good one. maybe her timea has come. shes had a good life though, ive been told i take better care of my cows than i do some of my family "sic". I sure do appreciate all your advice. maybe I"ll learn something from this. thanks again.

What type of hay?

She just "weak", or is her hind end just not cooperating with the front end?

I'm assuming you did not put another calf on this cow, and that she is dry now?

Latest posts