Cow down

Help Support CattleToday:

Came this eve around 5:00pm. My help had kept water and feed to her and she had move 2-3 times about 20 feet each time. When I got to pasture she was laying over with head on ground. I made her set up and took tractor and with a 4 inch wide strap, picked her up and put car tires under her and let her down on them for a while. Then I removed the tires and set her down again. She stays up now like a regular cow laying down but after a while she tries to lay down. I have a barrier now behind her that won't let her lie down. She eats drinks and has bowel movements that are good. It's just her back legs are still not working right. I have pull them and worked them up and down and massage them to loosen her up. She tried three times this evening to get up but back legs still not cooperating. In the morning I am going to give her some more cortisone and see if it helps. Should I give it in the neck or give it in the hips were the problem is at. It says intramuscular or sub q. Her eyes still look good so I am not giving up on her.

Thanks for the up lifting words. I know we have a problem and by the grace of GOD we will get thru this. I got back late yesterday evening and we worked with her and fed her some cowbpellets and hay which she ate. She tried to get up three different times but back legs are a problem. I have seen her move the left back leg. I have bent and worked both legs in and out but she prefers to stick them straight out. Going back now and give her another 15 ml of dexamethadone ( cortisone). Feed and water her up also. More later.

So she has one that she can move a bit... good, there is hope and seeing she is moving around on the ground, she has the will to live. Now it just takes time. One of her problems will be vultures. If she's in the open, she's in danger. Just be aware of them. We had one one time that wanted to move, so we put her in a lot with tall grass. She would eat the grass and move around as she did it. One day after weeks like this, she was standing.. Just keep her safe, feed her, water her. But the day she quits drinking, its over, shes given up. Sad part of the cattle business.

Gave her 15ml more of dexamethatone (cortisone) this morning. She ate some feed and hay and drank some water. She tried to get up a couple of times but no luck. Is it ok for up laying up right [image][media][/media][/image]to place her head on the ground for a while? I seen cows lay down but never really paid attention to their foot placements. Hope these photos up load.

I can't post pic here but I did get them to work quite well on the Goat Spot forum under cattle heading. You can see her there.

Will say a prayer for you and the cow. We had a cow go down mysteriously about 3 years ago and on Day 8 -- the day we were going to put her down -- she shocked us and was standing that morning in the barn. The sad news is she had torn herself up so much on her legs and belly trying to get up for all those days and had so much infection she had had enough and we ended up putting her down. When she saw us coming with her injections she did everything she could to avoid getting any more shots. Good luck with her. It is obvious you care about her and are trying everything you can.

Moved her today on a smaller bedding pen Apx 70 x 35feet, has trees along one fence row. Shaded and cooler. She tried to get up twice since she was moved but no luck. She did not like the lifting but rode the flat bed trailer fine. Still eating and drinking water. Gave her another calcium drench today. Will give her banamine again tomorrow. Still in hopes.

Tomcolvin said:
Moved her today on a smaller bedding pen Apx 70 x 35feet, has trees along one fence row. Shaded and cooler. She tried to get up twice since she was moved but no luck. She did not like the lifting but rode the flat bed trailer fine. Still eating and drinking water. Gave her another calcium drench today. Will give her banamine again tomorrow. Still in hopes.

Good luck Tom.

About the same today. Eating good and drinking water and eating hay. I gave her some outdated banamine today. I am getting some fresh bantamine tomorrow. One leg is stiff and I can't bend the joint. The other leg is bent now because I moved it. She spent the day with her legs spayed out the back end straight out. She tried to get up once in a while but back legs are useless. I gave bantamine but it is about 4 years old and I didn't have any thing else. Getting new tomorrow. I have not give up yet. She is alert to her surroundings and watches every around her. It will be this Thursday before I can lift her again. I'll try that and let her hang over some car tires maybe? I just don't know what to do.

I just want to help her. I love my cows and goats and I just want the best for them. I just don't know what else to do.

I just want what's best for her. I love my cows and goats. I just don't know what I need to do. Feel so helpless.

Have you checked her for retained afterbith? If retained this could become a serious issue. When she tries to get up do you still hear 'water'? Where are you injecting her? Are you injecting intramuscular or sub q? Think you can lay off the cortisone now and just give anti inflammatory. I would not try to get her up yet, let her do some healing. You can let her lie flat and stretch at times when you are in attendance, just not too long. Hold her head up if you like. Continue with what you are doing and try and loosen up those back legs ;-) . Good luck!!

I have been given I/M injection in neck area. No after birth was ever seen. At first I heard water but when we moved her to new pen she loss some of that water. I am giving new bantamine this evening when I come in from work. I have been feeding her 3 times a day. I feed morning and evening and wife feeds at dinner. Should I cut out the dinner feeding? I keep water and hay in front of her and she drinks and eats. B/M movements are good also. I have to shovel it out of the way every time I get to go check on her which is about 3 times a day. My vet said the body would absorb the after birth. I hope this is correct. I am at a loss here. She like a train off the track and I'm the only one to get it back on the tracks. Lol

Latest posts