Cow Down - Imput needed please

Help Support CattleToday:

well she stood up this weekend on her own without the help of the backhoe. She then started showing off by taking 10 steps and losing balance then falling .. .She then took 25 steps and can get up and down on her own and stands and will do circles in her small little triage tent I had set up to keep the snow off of her. Her son stops in for breakfast and dinner " Grain" with her and sleeps with her sometimes. I had a brood lamp on her and last night around 1 am cut on my torpedo heater and her and her calf stayed in there. I am not really sure I will be picking her up with the backhoe anymore for fear of reinjuring her. Should I let her out into the pasture with the other cows or let her stay in a corral area? I am worried she will come back into heat and one of my huge cows jump on her and reinjure her.

PART_1455638594503_IMG_20160215_074914693_zpsx4raqitp.jpg

PART_1455638606900_IMG_20160215_074948394_HDR_zpsplddhhw1.jpg

PART_1455638601131_IMG_20160215_173911711_zpslozcica6.jpg

Great news. Glad she is back on her feet. Hopefully she will continue to get stronger. I would keep her separate from the others for awhile, I think good food and rest will help a lot. We kept the one heifer apart for a couple weeks before we let her back. :banana:

Good new there sky!

If possible, I would keep her separate from the rest of the herd for a couple of weeks or so. Mainly to prevent re-injury and give her the opportunity to heal, get herself back to normal

Thanks yea I figure she needs to be by herself what really sucks is its so wet and muddy it doesn't help her with standing and walking but may make her use her muscles more so and get stronger.

TCRanch":2rh8zave said:
I was thinking about your girl the other day. Wonderful news, hope she continues to improve & thanks for updating us! Oh, and well done :)

Thanks shes not happy to be in her lil area but it is what it is

branguscowgirl":2g4og5aw said:
skyhightree1":2g4og5aw said:
<snip>

Yep that's why I have that to give calves shots I figured minerals were squaring the cows away.
Cant count on it......Some of mine do not consume enough to make the correction. Especially if they are already deficient. You have to use several different approaches. Slow dissolving bolus, injections, and the loose mineral. They do not transfer Selenium to the calves through the milk either. Take a look at what the Multi min injections do for vaccination enhancement also........I am a firm believer that in some areas, they need more than loose mineral. And the lab work on my cattle have proved it. It often makes me wonder how many people "cull" good cattle that just have mineral deficiencies.
I hope it is a viable answer for your cow. Never know until you try.

Post up an analysis of your loose mineral... some loose mineral doesn't contain much selenium.. 10-25mg/kg isn't much.. I used to be able to get 125mg/kg selenium mineral, now I can only get 75mg/kg...
Ditto for copper, I like to see about 2500-3000mg/kg for that around here
Phosphorus.. most people here think I'm nuts when I say I need a mineral with double the phosphorus than calcium, but the lab work on my cattle proved it to be true.

Sky.. so do you know if it was an injury for sure or did the BoSe do the trick?

Nesikep":1hksmvmc said:
[

2-Vets checked her while she was in sling and checked her over good and said it was an injury. He also said if she was lacking it would be seen in her calf. However, He did take blood samples out of some of my cows.

She busted out the corral and does not want to go back in and can even run now. She wants to be a regular cow now. I will catch her this weekend and put her in with some good alfalfa hay and corn meal pellets she lost a lot of weight

PART_1456426444671_IMG_20160225_072459016_HDR_zpsx2gjtlaa.jpg

skyhightree1":10utc6mn said:
Nesikep":10utc6mn said:
[

2-Vets checked her while she was in sling and checked her over good and said it was an injury. He also said if she was lacking it would be seen in her calf. However, He did take blood samples out of some of my cows.
I had several vets examine my cow. 2 at home and numerous vets down at UCD teaching hospital. Including a Neurologist!! All had thought it was an injury. :bang:
After a second relapse, I was the one that suggested a Selenium level. Bingo!
BTW my cow had a healthy calf on her also.

I wouldn't always count on them being 100% on everything. Not saying that your vets are wrong, I just wouldn't be so sure that they are always right either.

Boondocks - What do you mean? Milk for her calf? If so I seen him keep trying to nurse but can't see where hes gotten any.
BCG- oh vets can definitely be wrong me of all people know that greatly since the rabies incident.

skyhightree1":4tdxgku9 said:
Boondocks - What do you mean? Milk for her calf? If so I seen him keep trying to nurse but can't see where hes gotten any.
BCG- oh vets can definitely be wrong me of all people know that greatly since the rabies incident.

yes that is what I was curious about, since you said she had lost condition. I know in humans, if a nursing mother doesn't get adequate nutrition the milk dries up fast. I figured cows must be the same...

Calf has been trying but I can't see any signs of him getting any milk. I will tell you this the calf was doing good on hay and feed but now she's up its like he's lost interest in hay and feed and is looking like he's losing conditioning. I am going to pen her up so he has no choice of spending the day chasing her.

boondocks":vobf54hs said:
skyhightree1":vobf54hs said:

yes that is what I was curious about, since you said she had lost condition. I know in humans, if a nursing mother doesn't get adequate nutrition the milk dries up fast. I figured cows must be the same...

I have never seen it happen but noticed calf kept trying and was following her and went over to see and ill be darn shes giving milk again

PART_1456930265959_IMG_20160302_065110489_TOP_zpstx3b3guv.jpg

Latest posts