Cow Down - Imput needed please

Help Support CattleToday:

Hope it works out, Sky.

More generally, once down, is a cow statistically more likely to survive if they are hoisted up, rather than kept comfortable (and given meds as per vet, whether antiinflammatories, etc)? As a newbie, I have never had to hoist a cow up and wouldn't be very inclined to try it (concerned about doing more harm than good...).

Sky,
Had a cow just like yours last year. Good 4 yr old with two week old calf. Found her down one day and couldn't get up on back legs , would try and go with front but couldn't stand all the way. Used some straps with front end loader and picked her up but still couldn't stay up. After two weeks of trying to help, feeding and watering daily, she was going down hill so we put her down and found that she had broken a back leg about a third of the way up. She started out down just up hill a little from a water seep that was frozen. No swelling to really show that it was broke there, I was rolling her over twice a day to keep her off the same side. Hope yours don't have that bad luck. Had a heifer that had to have a calf pulled that was down for a couple of weeks, but she got stronger from rest, feed, and water I guess. Rolled her every day and when she tried to get up grabbed her tail and tried to help, after a few days she finally got to where she could stay up and eat on her own. Hope you have better luck.

Thanks boondocks...
Cattle I felt mines legs and couldn't find any broken bones.. I hoist her up daily a few times for half hour or so eats good drinks good... She did show more movement in her legs sunday but im not optimistic. She has no strength to stand on her own I try to lift just enough she could try to stand up but nothing. I have her corralled kids give her water and feed and I have it where her calf can go in and eat and visit with her but all she can do is go from side to side on her own and move around.

Sounds a little like the heifer that had the calf pulled. It was more from the nerves that kept her down. Took a few weeks of feeding and turning from side to side before she was able to start getting up and back on her feet. I had felt around on my cows legs too but still couldn't see any amount of swelling or anything. Hopefully she will get everything back under her and get going.

I still say that you need to give her a good dose of Multi Min. A mineral deficiency can cause all of the same symptoms (and even look like an injury) plus it sure as heck isn't going to hurt her.

skyhightree1":25u3m7j0 said:
bcg What do you suggest using?
Multi Min. Need prescription or to get from vet because of the Selenium that it contains. (In CA anyway.)
Google it. Great product!

skyhightree1":1pa83i4p said:
I have something with selenium that I give calves a shot once born ill check when I get home what it is.
You may have Muse or Bose. Those are Selenium with Vitamin E. If she has a Selenium deficiency one of those will work. Multi min contains everything.
I have had 2 cows go down with Selenium deficiency. Both seen by vets thought it was a spinal paralysis. Before I figured it out, one died from the paralysis spreading.
The other recovered completely. Just having her on feed, she gradually showed improvement. After many vets looking at her, it was my idea to draw her Selenium level. Sure enough, severely deficient. It caused her months of paralysis! She gets Selenium boluses and Multi min, plus high Selenium mineral.
Had a calf with Mag deficiency a couple of months ago. (Got real spooky and had head tremors.) A multi min injection set him right within a couple of days.
I am not saying that you have a mineral problem with out some blood work being done, but it sure is worth looking into. It is the first thing we think of in my area when we are feeding locally grown feed.

skyhightree1":1tk5qj02 said:
branguscowgirl":1tk5qj02 said:
skyhightree1":1tk5qj02 said:
I have Bo se will that help
Yep.
Do you hear that you are in "a deficient area"???

Yep that's why I have that to give calves shots I figured minerals were squaring the cows away.
Cant count on it......Some of mine do not consume enough to make the correction. Especially if they are already deficient. You have to use several different approaches. Slow dissolving bolus, injections, and the loose mineral. They do not transfer Selenium to the calves through the milk either. Take a look at what the Multi min injections do for vaccination enhancement also........I am a firm believer that in some areas, they need more than loose mineral. And the lab work on my cattle have proved it. It often makes me wonder how many people "cull" good cattle that just have mineral deficiencies.
I hope it is a viable answer for your cow. Never know until you try.

sounds like mine last year, she never looked very promising then one day she just got up. Is she still getting Dex? Mine got two big doses of the stuff.

Wouldn't hurt to give her a shot of banamine also. With a down cow I've given banamine, dex, and a BoSe shot with good results. I try to lift them twice to three times daily.

Thanks vet came out thinks its definitely a spinal injury said he would go ahead and put her down if it was him but I figure she's not suffering and eating well I would give it another week. Said some times if injury not too bad they have gotten up but this one doesn't look promising. I just gave the shots so figure cant hurt to wait a week and see.

Latest posts