Cow down after pulling calf

Help Support CattleToday:

morecows

Reaction score
Found cow down yesterday with calf part way out , we pulled the calf and he was dead . I think she was down trying to give birth for a long time, she seems to be very weak and wont eat. The problem now is she wont get up.she has been down for more than twenty four hours,what can I do ?

You might try a couple of tubes of calcium gel or get the vet to give her an IV. Being down is not so much a problem as not eating or drinking. I had a heifer down for two weeks and one day when I walked out she was up. Some people try to swing a downer. That has never worked for me. Think I do more harm than good.

If you have to ask what to do with a downer cow, you need to call a vet. Until your vet can get there, leave her sitting up with her feet propped under her where she can try to get up. Roll her over to the side that she hasn't been laying on.

Texan":3k0sc880 said:
If you have to ask what to do with a downer cow, you need to call a vet. Until your vet can get there, leave her sitting up with her feet propped under her where she can try to get up. Roll her over to the side that she hasn't been laying on.

Good advice Texan, and I might add: The sooner the better, tomorrow may be to late.

I'd give calcium for sure - usually the C-M-P-K injection done IV and/or IP, and probably give dextrose IV as well. Milk fever, ketosis, or something similar is the first thing that comes to my mind as she's just calved. Get your vet out if you can't do it yourself.

Ditto to what the others said - do something ASAP. Tonight if possible, if not, tomorrow morning as soon as your vet clinic opens. Make sure she has her feet under her and she's not on her side - down cows are prone to bloat - no sense in losing her to that.

I lost a cow to this last year due to paralysis.I hope you have better luck than I did.I tried for two weeks.Get a vet as soon as possible.I tried hip lifts in my barn and all kinds of gel but mine was a heifer and the calf was breech in my cow.But get a vet out as soon as possible.Good Luck

that cow is paralized no doubt about it.her having the calf half way out is why.the calf layed on the nerves to long.id give her some calium an shoot her with la200.but most importantly id get a set of hipplifters an lift her up.to see what she does with her back leggs.she may be to far gone.

more....,

Bigbull is right..she has a paralysis from the pressure on the spine. Had one.... did that. Not fun.

This was after about 24 hours when we found her with baby dead..but delivered. We used old bailer belts made into an... H... sling. Get her front legs extended out in front..like they do when they normally get up. Work it under the cow in front of the back legs and behind the front legs with the connecting belt running from head to tail. ...used a front loader to lift her. If you adjust the hook-up correctly when you start to life she will turn on the belly with legs under her. Raise her up just till the hoofs are on the ground with a slight space for her to work her legs. She immediately took water and feed. We milked her to relieve pressure. We kept that one hanging for 2-2 1/2 days until she started moving then we gradually lowered her every few hours as she was able to take on a more normal stand. Finally, I guess we waited to long, she crawled out of the H and was on her own one morning.(on the + side you will find out if the tractor 0 rings are holding in the lift!). Didn't give any medication...saw no need to. Everthing else looked ok.

If she's paralyzed, why give her any meds? I was taught no meds when an animal was going to the freezer....

Don't get excited! Get the calcium into her and as long as she's eating and drinking give her some time. 75% of the time the paralyse will pass. As I've said before; I've done more harm by swinging than good. Only used a sling to get her feet under her or to move her out of the mud. It may take a week or so but there's a good chance she'll make it. The vet will probably give her some other medications to help. Some "high energy" calcium gel would be a big help.

mitchwi":hs28bnoa said:
If she's paralyzed, why give her any meds? I was taught no meds when an animal was going to the freezer....

Calcium and dextrose are OK - no withdrawal. LA200 would be the one thing I wouldn't give because it has a withdrawal (30 days), but if it were a cow that was "just down" I wouldn't see the need for antibiotics anyway. Antibiotics aren't going to do anything for a cow with a calcium deficency or paralysis.

Might be paralyzed, might not...the down cows I've seen and had experience with all managed to get up again. But then we didn't wait days before lifting them. We did it right away.

Thanks for all the good advice,Before I could take a advantage of the advice we found her dead this am. This is a said way to learn the ropes of having cattle, Im not living at the ranch yet, we should be there by the end of the month. That will be better so we can keep a closer eye on them. I not really sure how long she was down before we found her maybe longer than I thought. Im going to bring the first time heifers up to the pen for now on.

more....,
With all due respect...it's expensive to learn that we should check on the animals at least once daily...preferably 2xs daily. Until I am there I would arrange with a local neighbor to look in on them. Not good to allow an animal to much time with an illness/injury...more difficult to bring around.

Sorry for the loss. Have a Happier New year!

On that note, I too admit to being deficient in that respect when I first started out on my own.

I make it a rule now.......every day each and every cow and calf is SEEN and counted at least once.

It's the times that you cannot find one with the herd that there are likely problems, ie: illness. calving problems, injuries, predator issues etc. If I can't find one, I search until I do! :cboy:

Latest posts