Cow coughing and breathing hard

Help Support CattleToday:

redcowsrule33

Reaction score
I think if she's in that bad of shape I'd call the vet now and not wait. May not be a cow left to worry about otherwise.

5 cc Virashield 6+ L5 HB, 2cc Bar Somnus 2p (pasturella and haemophillus somnus) and I had la-200 and naxcel. Naxcel was expired so I hit her with 60 cc la 200.

NEVER vaccinate a sick animal, you won't get a strong immune response.

Any vaccine given the same time as an antibiotic is a waste of money. in laymen' terms the antibiotic's job is to kill the bacteria, the vaccine's job is to supply the bacteria to get an immune response. Given at the same time the antibiotic negate the effect you want from the vaccine.

It sounds like pneumonia, but the fact that she has had laboured breathing for such a long time makes me wonder about another cause. I usually don't wait and see when I have one coughing, I hit them hard with antibiotics, and not LA200 unless in an emergency and I have nothing else.

All that said, in my climate I rarely see more than one case of pneumonia every 3 years so I'm far from an expert on the treatment of pneumonia, I would normally use Cobactan as it has a long shelf life after opening.

You may want to add bluetongue and EHD to that list. There were several cases around last year about this time.

TNMasterBeefProducer":1z0aw2bh said:
redcowsrule33":1z0aw2bh said:
I think if she's in that bad of shape I'd call the vet now and not wait. May not be a cow left to worry about otherwise.

Which would you do? Go to work and make 75,000 a year or stay home miss work, not get paid, and have to spend money to save a cow that may not live anyway and aint worth no more than 1200 dollars? Which is more 1200 or 75000. Some people have to work and cant wait around for a vet. I will have to have the vet meet me out there after dark this week if we do anything. She would probably only bring about 60 cents per pound in the kill pen.

Hey, get up off me. :shock: If your priorities are a cow and not that cow by all means go to work. I work out, too, so I can support my expensive cow hobby. I might be lucky and live in an area where if my vet made me wait three days for treatment of a critically ill animal he/she wouldn't come back, ever. But I understand that not everyone has that luxury. I merely suggested calling for vet advice before throwing everything in the truck and the neighbor's cabinet at her because I know from experience that sometimes the treatments given before the vet sees an animal make any chance of a success less likely. I don't expect anyone to call the vet for everything.

When and if you are able to get a diagnosis on this cow, try to get from your vet 1) a prevention plan in place for the rest, if necessary and 2) a treatment plan for any cow with similar symptoms. That way you have the meds you need on hand and are doing it appropriately so if it doesn't work your vet has something to work with. It saves money and time in the long run. I know you are a knowledgable person and I am not trying to be condescending. I work with producers every day and I try to make sure they have treatment and prevention protocols in place to avoid situations like the one you are having.

Sorry if I stepped on your toes. :drink:

Ratherthen blindly start pumping her with antibiotics, why not take her temp and see if she even needs them.

TNMasterBeefProducer":1k71at1g said:
dun":1k71at1g said:
Ratherthen blindly start pumping her with antibiotics, why not take her temp and see if she even needs them.

I forgot to mention I took her temp it was 107.2 that is a little high.

That's a lot high, if you have some Baytril you better use it tonight yet, if you can't find that, use the Naxcel, as long as it has been refidgerated and unmixed it will probably be ok . I don't think you have long to get her on some good antibiotics . Just as a note, the dex is going to make her look and feel better so don't be fooled by that .

Larry

Latest posts