Cow can't stand after calving

Help Support CattleToday:

M Thomason

Reaction score
Found a heifer on her side/back in a ditch with a dead calf still partially stuck by the hind legs. Got the calf pulled out but heifer couldn't get up. I hooked a strap round heifers neck and front feet and pulled her down the ditch to level ground but she won't get up. I went to the Vets and got 2 shots for swelling and she let me borrow a pelvic lift that I've been using 3 times a day for 6 days now but she still cant get up. I lift her with the loader for 5 to 10 minutes at a time but its starting to rub her hair off below her hip bones. I don't want to make a sore place. Has anyone ever used one of these lifting devices before. The cow is still aways from the barn in the edge of the woods. I've been checking her 5 times a day to make sure she has water and feed and shade. Its been near 100° every day with no relief in sight

How long ago? If she's got calving paralysis you're doing what you can and time will fix it - usually a week if it's serious. (sorry, I see you said 6 days. She looks like she's standing well - hope she surprises you soon)
You've got padded hip lifters which is good, the bad news is if hip lifters is your means of lifting them and especially if she's struggling to walk while she's up, those sores are going to happen - they're really best for a one-off get a cow back up scenario - but the sores will heal, a recumbent cow left on the ground probably won't.
You could try adding a blanket under the hip lifters as long as they can still be wound down tight enough to get a good grip - I've never tried it, only had one cow in your situation that got bad sores and basically, they healed, getting her up every day was more important than worrying about the rub damage.

Those can be counter productive. We put swim noodles on them, just cut longways and cover the metal part, then duct tape them round and round so they stay put, but even after doing that they still will do damage to some.
If she has movement in one leg, she has a chance. If she cant bare any weight on either back leg by now, chances are she'll never recover.
Feed and water her and give her time. Once she quits drinking, its over and put her down. But, we had one this last season that went over 30 days and looked like he11 by the time she was standing on her own. I actually gave up way before her. She continued to eat and drink and finally stood on her own. The hip things had eaten into her bones and left giant hematomas the size of basketballs. She had one good leg that would stay put when we stood her. Bless her heart, she wanted to live...
Good luck and fingers crossed she comes out of it...

She has 3 good legs just the right back leg wont work. She was on top of the ditch trying to calve the ground was all torn up guess she fell in the ditch when the calf was almost out. She prolapsed the next day and the vet came and put her uterus back in and sewed her up with a couple of strings. Then she layed flat on her side and strained so much she partially prolapsed again. The vet came back and fixed her again now I am careful not to leave her on the parlysed hip because she cant sit upright for long without something to support her back.

Bless her heart. Just a warning if you have black vultures around and she's not near your house. They'll eat her back end out. Where i live, we have to bring all down cows to our house or if thats not possible, we put corral panels around them. That keeps them off for a short time.
Bummer on the prolapse....ugh, if its not one thing its another
From the last picture, if you have something like a show stick, hoe, rake, take it and position that nonworking foot straight, then lower the loader so she has weight on it....See how its buckled, set that leg where the foot is right. I've found that it helps them learn where that foot is easier if they arent fighting to get weight on that leg..if you know what i'm saying. Of course you can only do this with a cow who isnt fighting you. If she's fighting you, well, you just do what you can safely...
Fingers crossed for her...

Every time I lift her I get the bad foot straight and let her down to put a little weight on it. She's not very wild thank goodness. I'll keep trying for a while longer. Vet told me a cow he knew of got up after 32 days.

As long as they eat and drink, i dont give up. This years cow was around 30 days, but we've had them longer. Average is 2 weeks.. Like i said, if they quit eating or drinking, its over. I never had one live when they've given up....

So sorry to read this. As someone said, watch out for black vultures. I am in Middle GA too, and I know they are bad in my part. Don't give up on her as long as she eats and drinks. She has a good chance of getting over this with time. I surely hope she makes it.
Where are you located in Middle GA ? Good luck and keep us posted.

I recently had a down cow after calving (hard pull) but nowhere near this bad; I'm so sorry! But it's encouraging she's still eating/drinking & appears to have the will to live.

About 4 years ago we had a down cow probably a mile from the barn with no shade so we parked one of the Polaris' next to her & rigged golf umbrellas in the utility holes on the bed. We are blessed with some amazing neighbors and one of them came over with his giant loader w/a 10' bucket and we were able to roll her in the bucket with a lot of dirt & blankets for padding, get her secured with straps and move her to the barn. Maybe an option for you?

Best of luck!

I know this opinion won't be shared by all, but after a week, and considering the prolapse, weather/temperature, and current cattle prices for a cow, her days would be numbered here. That might be jumping the gun, and sound anti-animal, but I don't like to see animals of any kind suffer, and I think this girl has had a really tough set of circumstances to overcome. Especially if buzzards discover her. Not a good way to go.

However, I do hope you have good success with her....quickly.

Sorry Williamsv just read your reply again asking where in middle ga we are in Jasper county bout 6 miles west of the 2 red light town of Monticello

Had one down for 30 days. Same scenario. Used the same hip lift. When you think it's tight enough turn it at least one more round. Sores are inevitable. Worse thing that can happen is for it to slip off. But if you've been getting her up for 15 days you're probably getting pretty good at it. The one we had that was down 30 days gets up and down by herself now but she won't ever get right bc it's been close to 6 months. She uses both back legs fully but her balance has been affected. She's wobbly side to side when she comes to a trough. When she's grazing and walking slowly you can't tell anything is wrong at all. To each their own and I know it's very time consuming and aggravating but as long as the animal is trying I feel obligated to try also.

What ever happened to this cow ?? we had one down after she had her 1st calf but it only lasted 1 day. I hope she got betterYour browser does not support drag'n'drop file uploads.Please use the fallback form below to upload your files like in the olden days.

Latest posts