cow/calf pair price-high or low?????

Help Support CattleToday:

uscangus

Reaction score
i just purchased a 5 year old and 3 year old cow with a bull calf. large and long structure. the 5 year old cow weight about 1200 and 3 year old is about 1000. 5 year old is pure bred black angus and white face is half is 50% pure black cow. the bull is pure bred black angus. three year old was purchased as bred cow but gave birth with a black bull calf, a week later. i am glad that i am able to bred them in June or july to calve in march or april.

the price for 5 year old is 850 with a month old bull calf and 3 year old cow as bred was 650. once again, i am glad that i am able to bred them by june or july. both black angus bull calves will be steer by next week when i picked them up. i needed to wait at least two weeks after the birth of the second calf to transfer.

did i get a good price for them???????

We bought blk pairs for just over a grand each over the winter, so yeah buddy you got a good deal.

Angus Cowman":2yfu7ib7 said:
I sold some 2nd stage cows this week for more money than you gave for pairs

what is a second stage cows????? angus cowman.

Not to change the topic but why do prices differ so much from different areas around the country. I dont think the prices were bad but it seems the guys out west and in canada are paying a lot more for their cattle.

uscangus":116yj88b said:
Angus Cowman":116yj88b said:

a 2nd stage cow is a cow that is in her 2nd trimester of pregnancy so she is from 4 to 6 months bred

1st stage 1-3 months
2nd stage 4-6 months
3rd stage 7-9 months

Southeast Pa. Its mostly dairy's around here. I figured there being less beef ops that there wasnt as much competition for the beef breeds. If theres a big sale and there is a lot of out of state buyers thats a different story. There really isnt any farms in our area that are the scale of most of the producers on this forum.

Angus Cowman":2rxpnb2l said:
uscangus":2rxpnb2l said:
Angus Cowman":2rxpnb2l said:

a 2nd stage cow is a cow that is in her 2nd trimester of pregnancy so she is from 4 to 6 months bred

1st stage 1-3 months
2nd stage 4-6 months
3rd stage 7-9 months

this fall, i will plan to acquire 2nd stage of bred cows around nov-dec when we don't have hay or pasture. in northwest, it rains everyday where most producers do not have enough hay for winter. it is great if your cow have webbed feet and does not sink or damage your pastures, like pot holes.
plan to acquire bred cows that will bred march and april.

uscangus":1kgn0a86 said:
this fall, i will plan to acquire 2nd stage of bred cows around nov-dec when we don't have hay or pasture. in northwest, it rains everyday where most producers do not have enough hay for winter. it is great if your cow have webbed feet and does not sink or damage your pastures, like pot holes.

I guess it depends on what you include in the "Northwest". East of the Cascades is dry desert where I grew up. We get a kick out of Washington being called the Evergreen state. Here's a photo from the Columbia Basin in Washington.

columbiabasin.jpg

djinwa":37c9wpj6 said:
uscangus":37c9wpj6 said:

I guess it depends on what you include in the "Northwest". East of the Cascades is dry desert where I grew up. We get a kick out of Washington being called the Evergreen state. Here's a photo from the Columbia Basin in Washington.

columbiabasin.jpg

you are right on that djinwa. i am on the westside of cascade mountains and where the rain ends from the gulf of alaska. your area, it is dry like palm spring; whereas, my area is great if your cow has webbed feet.

AlyssasPride":3br2sutp said:
Southeast Pa. Its mostly dairy's around here. I figured there being less beef ops that there wasnt as much competition for the beef breeds. If theres a big sale and there is a lot of out of state buyers thats a different story. There really isnt any farms in our area that are the scale of most of the producers on this forum.

My cows are worth less if they are sold in your climate. Vice versa for yours here. If we have a drought or really hot summer, deals better than the one he describes will be abound.

We likely have more variables than others.