cow/calf operation

Help Support CattleToday:

HandB

Reaction score
I am looking for input on the ideal way to start a cow/calf operation. I have land that will be rented for $14/acre with decent feed on it. It will be a year long lease with options to continue each year. I will probably be raising either red or black angus and cross w/ a charlois or limousine bull. Looking to start at about 50-60 head. I was wondering what my ratio of cattle bought should be springers, open cows, bred cows, weaned hiefers?

If i were you i'd try to find (in this order) some good: 3n1s, pairs, or breds. trust me, you dont want angus heifers having charolais calves as their first calf. see if you can find some good angus cows bred to angus bulls and then if you just really really want some heifers you can keep those. I wouldnt be afraid to breed most angus cows to a low birthweight charolais bull after theyve had two calves. You need to watch out for birthweight on limousin bulls too though. I would personally go with black angus cows and either a charolais or a black limousin or maybe even a limang bull. Do grays sell about the same as blacks in your area?

charolais crosses actually fetch a little higher price out here than say a straight black. I understand what you are saying about the calving ease of a blonde bull. That is one aspect I had considered. Maybe get 2 or 3 calves out of some cows then cross 'em. I was just wondering if it was smart to buy all pairs and maybe some springers at first that way I could have some calves on the ground to sell the first year instead of paying rent all year long with nothing to offset the cost. What is a 3in1?

HandB":3l8b61jp said:
I am looking for input on the ideal way to start a cow/calf operation. I have land that will be rented for $14/acre with decent feed on it. It will be a year long lease with options to continue each year. I will probably be raising either red or black angus and cross w/ a charlois or limousine bull. Looking to start at about 50-60 head. I was wondering what my ratio of cattle bought should be springers, open cows, bred cows, weaned hiefers?

I would suggest going with pairs or even better three in one's. You have reduced the risk of having a live calf when it is already on the ground. If you can find older calves on the cows you would be better still. The calf would weight more at weaning this fall. Good luck.

if u want a good cross do a charlais cow with an angus bull becuase calving will be SOO much easier even on a cow that has had a couple successful calvings. believe me.

joe