Cow Broke Her Hoof

Help Support CattleToday:

Dre

Reaction score
I was working my 10 year old Black Angus cow the other day. After she left the chute I noticed some blood on the ground. After examining her hoof, the tip was broken off and she started limping later on.I was just wondering what is the best way to prevent infection and help her heal. Im gonna throw some blue coat on today. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. D.

sounds like she broke th hoof off into the quick. i would put a heavy coat of wound dressing on it . an maybe even wrapp the foot.either way id check the foot ever day or 2. an keep an eye on her.scott

you say it happened the other day... how long ago was it? unless she is really limping bad i probably wouldnt do anything to her at this point...

if you are worried about infection, give her a shot of penicillin.

jmo

jt

Thanks for the replies. It happened the day before yesterday and she is favoring the foot alot. My wife called the vet already he may come out tommorrow.We have to see how shes doing tommorrow.

Why dont you try a novel approach to some of you internet ranchers and just leave her alone. Cows have been breaking toes for a long time without vet treatment. Ill take some of that extra money some of you want to waste

tapeworm":xveu8r92 said:
Why dont you try a novel approach to some of you internet ranchers and just leave her alone. Cows have been breaking toes for a long time without vet treatment. Ill take some of that extra money some of you want to waste

Man I agree with that maybe at most drive close to her and spray the wound with some kerosene to keep the flies off, treatment over.

Well heres how it went . First of all thanks for all the help. The vet came out .(Hes a great vet who came from a dairy farm as a child) Anyway he said we had to take her down since it was her front foot. I AId her when I was working her so we couldnt use tranqulizers. He tie a rope to the front and back of her with some kind of cradle around her belly. Then I went for a ride since he told me to hold the back rope. It would have made funniest home videos for sure.It wasnt funny tho half way thru she acted like she stopped breathing. I thought she was dead, but the vet said it happens all the time. (I wish he would have told me before we started she scared me to death) But at the end he cleaned it up and put a boot on her Now shes all better. I asked the wife if she wanted the vet to come out or let it go She told me if it was any other cow we would let it go But this one is our Baby and is a special girl. Once again thanks for all the advice.On a brighter note he palpated my cows and out of 6-4 were pregnant from selected AI bulls Yeah!!! D.

Had a showheifer that hoof trimmer trimmed too short. A farrier friend tell us to puddle turpintine on her feet when feeding. Help toughen the hooves. To make a long story short she did grat after a few treatments.

Latest posts