Cow Bringing Her Calf to Me

Help Support CattleToday:

GotMyHandsFull

Reaction score
I've mentioned in other threads that my cows are pretty mellow. But there is one three-year-old brangus that's a little flighty...not a fence jumper, runner or fighter...just a bit nervous. She's fine as long as you stay on the 4-wheeler or gator or tractor, but step off and she steps back, but doesn't turn and run. Most people probably wouldn't even notice it, but compared to my other cows, she's a bit flighty. Anyway, last year and this year when she's had her calf, her behavior is just the opposite. If I'm working on a section of fence or repairing a bunk feeder, she and her calf will come over near me and lay down. Does she see me as additional "protection" for her calf?

GotMyHandsFull":2nrjjqbe said:
I've mentioned in other threads that my cows are pretty mellow. But there is one three-year-old brangus that's a little flighty...not a fence jumper, runner or fighter...just a bit nervous. She's fine as long as you stay on the 4-wheeler or gator or tractor, but step off and she steps back, but doesn't turn and run. Most people probably wouldn't even notice it, but compared to my other cows, she's a bit flighty. Anyway, last year and this year when she's had her calf, her behavior is just the opposite. If I'm working on a section of fence or repairing a bunk feeder, she and her calf will come over near me and lay down. Does she see me as additional "protection" for her calf?

I got some that will lay you out for about a week after calving.

Some of my cows (Mega for example) love coming up to me, calf in tow.. they just like company.. Perhaps yours likes the company but doesn't quite want to show friendlyness?

I once did some fencing at a hobby farm where they had a jersey heifer.. she was a couple paces behind me at all times inspecting every staple I put in.