COVID-19, cattle prices, blah, blah, blah

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Don't get on here much anymore as I sold everything I had back in October. I just glanced and it looks like there's no topics about prices and the virus. Are regular weekly sale barn auction still going? I checked two local barns close to me and they have no info after February 17.

Still going but numbers and prices are low. Only people selling now are scared. Cattle prices to me is like a roller coaster, you only get burned when you jump off, got to ride the wave. Im sitting on a load of steers i had planned to sell first week of April. May be holding them a while.

Blackwell ok 150 head. 87 sold. Rest went back home.
Perkins oklahoma. No sale this week
Enid ok sale today. Numbers way down 3-400 hd
Fairview ok sale is on as scheduled. No word on head count yet.
Okc numbers were way down Monday and tuesday.

I have some I wanted to sell mid April too.
The prices I have seen, I'd take mine back home also.
May sit on em a while. Got a couple heifers I may keep and sell a couple older cows instead.
Cull money seems to be steady.
Calves are wayyy down

tncattle said:
Don't get on here much anymore as I sold everything I had back in October. I just glanced and it looks like there's no topics about prices and the virus. Are regular weekly sale barn auction still going? I checked two local barns close to me and they have no info after February 17.

Can you believe what's going on around the Music City? First the tornadoes now the panic of the virus. Glad to see you're still with us even if it's just from time to time tncattle.

Our weaner sales are on at the moment. Our prices have been soaring over the last few weeks as most areas have had good rain so people have feed now and no cattle as most have destocked from the drought. I sent 5 heifers to the Stanthorpe weaner sale yesterday, average weight 219 kg ( most were my youngest and lightest) they made $4.28/kg and averaged $929.10/hd.
My neighbour sold all his calves about 100 and got to $5.35/kg for steers and $4.40/kg for heifers.
I think the buyers will start to get very nervous soon. Our low dollar will help the feedlots get out of it with export product.

Ken

People buying a lot of mince here....that should drive prices or keep them high at least down here.

Our measures wont stop sales I would not think at this point....no need for any personal contact.

Going gangbusters here in the west, a lot of eastern state buyers. No punch ups that I've heard of but in the past with local buyers trying to keep prices down and eastern states buyers prepared to buy big it gets heated. Supply and demand, let the farmer make something for once.

JW IN VA said:
Our stockyard is open here but asking consigners to stay in their trucks while staff unloads then to return home.Only buyers are invited to be at the sale

Trust me, will get you the best price......

It appears all auction yards in Oregon are still open and operating. Prices are down overall but it could be worse. Butcher cow and bull prices are actually up overall. One yard (Eugene/Junction City) had a small feeder sale last Saturday and prices were up noticeably from the previous week. A lot of the auctions are asking that only buyers attend the sale and if you're selling to drop off your stock and head home so they can keep the attendance low and meet the restrictions we have here for no gatherings over 25 people.

Since we're talking about prices, I've got a discussion going over on the NCBA/COOL/R-CALF/USDA forum about packer profits compared to producer profits. I keep hearing about how much the packers are making compared to the producers, so I'm trying to do some digging to figure it out. I'd greatly appreciate anybody's input in that discussion in case you haven't already seen it. I keep hearing about potential collusion and lawsuits, and anything like that will affect prices.

The price for cut out beef is up 10 cents. At the same time live cattle are down 16 cents. Hmmmmmm. Who is taking advantage of the market caused by COVID-19. Price gouging both directions.

Here it seems feeders are down 15-20 while weigh cows and bulls are up 5. Got a message from one market basically begging for slaughter cows/bulls as the meat is flying off the shelves I guess the supply stream is low.

Latest posts