Couple bottle calf questions

Help Support CattleToday:

Workinonit Farm":2z1rlco9 said:
I've always used (when I didn't have a nurse cow) Cow's Match made by Land-O-Lakes. anytime I fed medicated replacer, the calves always got the shyts. Pedialyte is safe to give a calf. Don't delay.

You talk about the calf being big enough to get on the "blown out bag". Is it possible for you to milk the cow, and put the milk in a bottle and feed that to the calf.

Whatever replacer you choose, be sure it is 20% fat, 20% protein and 100% milk product, no soy.

100% agree. Cow's Match all the way! Haha. If the cow's bag is that bad, culling her once you no longer need her to raise the calf might be an option. This same scenario might happen next year too! :2cents:

Brute 23":2f95rk7q said:
The calf only drank about a pint this morning. I gave it some more pedialyte and another 5ml shot. It was standing when I got there.

Be patient, you're doing great! And so is the calf if it was standing there, presumably waiting for you. Have you tried mixing the Pedialyte with a little milk replacer & maybe a shot of syrup for taste?

I let my little girl & her mama join the herd earlier today. When I went out late this afternoon to feed her she had already hooked up with the other late calf but came running right over to me, anxious for her bottles and she's all about the cubes.

As far as selling her mama asap, obviously contingent on your situation but this is the 4th time I've had to supplement a calf and I've found the calf thrives/grows better when it still has its mama (as opposed to orphans I've raised). Plus, it's easier on me because I don't end up with a needy calf that literally thinks I'm her mama (have a couple of those as well - and the bruises to prove it). I sell the mama a couple weeks after the calf is weaned to let any functional quarters dry up. Just my :2cents:

Latest posts