County Road

Help Support CattleToday:

kucala5

Reaction score
The county road we live on has no ditch on a portion and the runoff erodes one of our pastures. It has happened over time and I honestly don't know if the ditch washed out or was eliminated with road work. It's gotten to the point we have to take a different path to the gate. Any idea if that is on the county or me to deal with? I emailed the judge this evening.

Contact the County Board of Supervisors. Have your ducks in a row which means documentation.
Opinions without verification will not pass as documentation. Good Luck

Around here 25ft on either side of the road is county property. They do all the drive attachments and culverts for water flow.

Here it is 30 feet each side of the center of the road. No ditches here. Most of the road is either straight up or straight down depending on which side of the road you choose.
A picture of a traffic jam on the county road in front of our place. A truck ran off into the ditch on the same corner as the traffic jam.

Attachments

• P5251468.JPG
    P5251468.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 21
  • P1141788.JPG
    P1141788.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 21
we do have roads around here that do not have a ditch on the downhill side of the road. Our land is not nearly as steep as in your pics but more of the gently rolling hills. the county is responsible to keep the water away from the roadway, so if the downhill side of the road lets the water drain away, no ditch is required. nature provides the course that the runoff takes and the county here would not alter that course. Hope you have better luck there.

I would contact the county road and bridge dept. Let them know of the situation and ask them to grade it so water runs in a ditch. I would try to contact those who can solve the problem before going up the ladder too far!

Lots of seed and a bunch of well planned bale grazing in/around/near the ditch through the winter months usually can cure a lot of ills.

The county road we live on has no ditch on a portion and the runoff erodes one of our pastures. It has happened over time and I honestly don't know if the ditch washed out or was eliminated with road work. It's gotten to the point we have to take a different path to the gate. Any idea if that is on the county or me to deal with? I emailed the judge this evening.

Latest posts