Country sayings

Help Support CattleToday:

bandit80

Reaction score
My son is now 8, and I am coaching basketball to him and some boys from a larger town at the local YMCA. This evening at practice, a couple of them were running around wild and not paying attention. So I raised my voice and told them to quit running around like a chicken with its head cut off. The looks of confusion on their faces was priceless. They had obviously never heard that, and one boy asked "how can a chicken run around with mo head?"

At least I got their attention. :lol2:

Now you went and done it. I hope there aren't any chickens around cause I got a feeling that boy might try an experiment and in today's times he will be in counselling and forced to take a bunch of pills the rest of his life.

Bandit,

Some years ago I was managing a major project for a nationwide company. This particular time, the project activity was in San Francisco. The customer's project manager was a lady of obvious Oriental descent. The project involved bringing in a workforce of about 20 people to work simultaneously on tasks that would be done overnight.

I was talking to the customer's project manager and I was describing the tasks that would be done that night. I caught myself in mid-sentence telling her that when the crew arrived and started their tasks that it would look like a "Chinese fire drill". The moment I realized what I was saying, I immediately stopped in mid-sentence and hurried away to handle a "crisis".

Sometimes our familiar sayings don't work out as well as we want them to.

Tom in TN

Tom in TN":1ifpb6k3 said:
Bandit,

Some years ago I was managing a major project for a nationwide company. This particular time, the project activity was in San Francisco. The customer's project manager was a lady of obvious Oriental descent. The project involved bringing in a workforce of about 20 people to work simultaneously on tasks that would be done overnight.

I was talking to the customer's project manager and I was describing the tasks that would be done that night. I caught myself in mid-sentence telling her that when the crew arrived and started their tasks that it would look like a "Chinese fire drill". The moment I realized what I was saying, I immediately stopped in mid-sentence and hurried away to handle a "crisis".

Tom in TN
When I was just a kid we had a girl move down from Canada, she was very well endowed for her age and embarassed by it but also stuck up as could be. I once referred to her as acting like a stuffed shirt. She got really mad until one of the nuns exlained the saying to her.

Tom in TN":3gw211o9 said:
Bandit,

Tom in TN
you never know... she could have been korean ,and thought it was funny... :cowboy:

Just pull those boys together and

...tell them how the cow ate the cabbage

OR

...tell them not to worry about the mule going blind, just load the wagon if they get lippy about something they've been asked to do..

DavisBeefmasters":37o3mul1 said:
Just pull those boys together and

...tell them how the cow ate the cabbage

OR

...tell them not to worry about the mule going blind, just load the wagon if they get lippy about something they've been asked to do..
Reminds me of a guy I used to work with. When it was getting late in the afternoon and we had a lot yet to do, he would say,"Don't worry about the mule. Just load the wagon".
It sounded good but he always left at quitting time and we had to stay and finish the work.

When he finally left we found everything he had done for months was wrong. Somebody else re- did the whole thing in a couple of weeks.
Pardon my interupting, but this struck a nerve and brought back strong memories.

Ryder":2cz63583 said:
When he finally left we found everything he had done for months was wrong. Somebody else re- did the whole thing in a couple of weeks.
Pardon my interupting, but this struck a nerve and brought back strong memories.

No worries... it's a saying from my dad anytime I got up the nerve to question why...

...and at the end of lunch time

"off your arse and on your feet! Out of the shade and into the heat!"

I have some strong memories of him of a few particular days where the sayings didn't quite sit so well...

Pizz on the fire and call the dogs.
I suspect it came from the day the fox hunters at night sat around a fire drinking shine while the hounds ran the fox.

Jogeephus":3837edys said:
Now you went and done it. I hope there aren't any chickens around cause I got a feeling that boy might try an experiment and in today's times he will be in counselling and forced to take a bunch of pills the rest of his life.
:nod: :nod:

Latest posts