Couldnt get into cervix AI

Help Support CattleToday:

wade

Reaction score
Last week I posted about a cow that came up with blood on her tail that I presumed was already bred. Now the rest of the story. RA cow born in spring 03, has had a heifer and a bull calf both AI bred. No problems calving and my records show she was bred in 06 and 07 only once each year and settled on the first service both times. This year is a different story. She was AI,d this year 6/25, 7/19 and was tried last night. After we observed blood on her tail on 8/11 I called the vet to see how quickly we could bring her back into heat. She told me to give her 7 days and shoot her with 7 cc Lutalyse, which I did. Yesterday morning she was in standing heat. Brought her in the barn to be bred at 5pm last night. The man who does my breeding tried and tried and said that he could not get the gun inside her cervix at all. Hauled her to a bull and the young bull tried some but she wouldnt stand. Brought her back home. Why cant we seem to get her bred?

Dun will give you better answers and questions than me. What did you AI man seem to think the problem was? Did he say what thought was keeping him out. Did he think it was blocked? Would help to no a little more .

He said it seemed the opening to the cervix was blocked. I called the vet and she said it is possibly a cervical prolapse. She said to bring her into heat again and try again. If he cannot get gun into cervix that he will have to go in vaginally and start the gun into the cervix. Worth a try I guess.

wade":4ddffgci said:
He said it seemed the opening to the cervix was blocked. I called the vet and she said it is possibly a cervical prolapse. She said to bring her into heat again and try again. If he cannot get gun into cervix that he will have to go in vaginally and start the gun into the cervix. Worth a try I guess.
Nest time she's standing, turn her in with the bull. I wouldn;t waste the ime and money on trying to AI her again this year. If she doesn;t settle to the bull, put wheels under her.

i think id go ahead an haul her to the sale when you wean her.if she has a calf on her.

I agree try one more time with a bull and if that doesn't work ship her off. The bull deposits a ton more semen in her than an AI does. If there is any chance just save the AI semen and money for your tech.
I had a similar situation with a heifer last year. I do my own AI so it is a bit different for me. I tried for the first sync heat, and didn't get threw. Deposited the semen and prayed. Hardly ever does a cow seem to get bred if not deposited past the cervix. But since the semen was in the gun I could throw it in her or on the ground.
Waited for next heat cycle 18-21 days later. I tried a total of 6 times at different times of her heat to get threw. More from determination than anything. The first time I used semen, deposited outside again. The rest of the times I just used gun and sheath. My mother-in-law was in the house baking (she doesn't have a good oven, but works out well for us, get baked goods and a spotless kitchen;-) Called her out when I finally made it threw and asked her to hold the sheath while I get semen. She is not a cattle person and that was a very interesting conversation!!!! Especailly when she is baking.
Went in got semen and she has just calved a very nice healthy boy. I will try and breed her again come fall breeding time but won't give her a chance like last time. I also wouldn't keep a heifer or bull calf for breeding from her. Fertility has been a proven trait and I don't want a trait like that in the herd if it is genetic.

Just my experiance and opinion. For what it is worth.
Double R

I had a heifer that I just about gave up on. Finally got it in. Heifer took OK. If she had not I would have done what Dun advised.

Latest posts