Could you hear the bang on a miss?

Help Support CattleToday:

I think Canadians hold 3 of the 5 longest sniper kills.

I ain't that good.. some days I wonder if I can hit the broad side of the barn

No. Would not hear the report on a miss at 2.2 miles. Long range rifle shooting is intriguing. Loading precision ammunition is a skill in itself. I would like to know what bullets they use. I was using Lapua bullets and brass when I was shooting long range rifle in Montana.

I have my two bench rifles. Cooper Arms. One is .223 Remington and the other is 6.5 x .284.

http://www.lapua.com/en/products/reloading/bullets

Long distance shooting is fun. I do think if I hit a target at 2.2 miles away it would take a three foot pipe wrench to turn the skin on my ...... um...... well you know. :oops:

Heck of a shot!
It won't be long before the Canucks can just stay home and kill terrorists half a world away from their back porch.

greybeard":q1dyornj said:
Heck of a shot!
It won't be long before the Canucks can just stay home and kill terrorists half a world away from their back porch.

Now thats just funny right there!

I do a fair bit of long distance shooting with my 300 win mag....shot a coyote in the head at 915 yards. I thought I was slicker than cat snot after that. However 2.2 miles is a whole nuther kettle of fish.

Even with modern shooting calculators and range finders and a Tac-50 rifle.....thats a long poke of a shot.

Consider that the point of aim was roughly (not knowing the specific ballistics of the presumably hand loaded round) 840ft above the point of impact. The target went from fighting for ISIS to WASWAS.

Even with a rifle that can shoot sub 1 moa groups.... (1 moa at 100 yards is roughly 1 inch...most rifles that guys would define as a real tack driver shoot sub moa)..... that means he has a group size of 38.72" at 2.2 miles. Shots can be 3ft2" wide of the mark and still be in a realm of what would be a very good shot. Take into account the 9.8sec of flight time and the Canadian sniper could quite literally call his target on the phone and say "sorry about that eh" before the impact.

To answer the original question....no not likely. The muzzle of the Tac-50 has a muzzle brake on it that would direct a good chunk of the percussion and blast to the side and rear....not much gets directed down range. Certainly not enough to be heard at 2.2 miles. The spotter however would have gotten quite the earful.

On the other hand a 50 cal bullet at 2.2 miles would be well into the subsonic range....so even in that scenario a bullet going by the target would not produce the sonic "crack and snap" most guys hear when bullets are going by close to you. So my educated scientific wild arse guess is that unless the target was able to spot or hear the bullet splash of a near miss....then he would have no way to know he was being shot at.

I have a hard time believing that it takes 9.8 seconds to get there..
2.2 miles = 11616 ft
speed of sound = 1125 ft/second
11,616/1125 = 10.32 seconds
so it's on the verge of having a subsonic average speed..
Muzzle velocity is about 2700ft/s.. I don't doubt it would be subsonic at impact, I just doubt it would have such a low average velocity.

Unless you are in a silent area (unlike most battle fields), I really doubt you'd hear it

viva la figa":u6so1dfh said:
On the other hand a 50 cal bullet at 2.2 miles would be well into the subsonic range....so even in that scenario a bullet going by the target would not produce the sonic "crack and snap" most guys hear when bullets are going by close to you. So my educated scientific wild arse guess is that unless the target was able to spot or hear the bullet splash of a near miss....then he would have no way to know he was being shot at.

I agree. Actually if the shot is fired with some distance the crack isn't as pronounced as most think. Its actually lagging considerably and is quite muted down range and if you are down range you will just see holes miraculously appear in leaves and things around you seconds before you hear anything. It has a strange surreal quality about it which almost seems benign and you are almost tempted to reach out and touch the holes just to see if they are real.

I think Clint Eastwood's movie Joe Kidd depicts it well when Clint shoots from the rock outcrop. JMO

Nesikep":13bj7hnj said:
I have a hard time believing that it takes 9.8 seconds to get there..
2.2 miles = 11616 ft
speed of sound = 1125 ft/second
11,616/1125 = 10.32 seconds
so it's on the verge of having a subsonic average speed..
Muzzle velocity is about 2700ft/s.. I don't doubt it would be subsonic at impact, I just doubt it would have such a low average velocity.

Unless you are in a silent area (unlike most battle fields), I really doubt you'd hear it

2700 ft/s is pretty slow in the big scheme of things. Typically hunting rounds you buy off the shelf are at the slower end of the spectrum because you want to save barrel life. I know from my brother (SpecWarfare sniper) runs his rounds pretty hot as do most tactical shooters..... WELL north of 3000 ft/s. The rifle they are shooting is not their personal rifle, so what do they care if they burn up a barrel at 1200 rounds down range as opposed to 5 or 10 thousand with a slower moving round. If it gets them a flatter shooting projectile....why not! (the flatter it shoots the less dope you need to dial, which when youre in a gunfight, you dont need anything extra to focus on...incoming rounds tend to take the majority of your focus understandably)

You are correct.....2.2 miles is 11616ft....however in your calculation you are assuming the bullet is flying a dead straight path over that 11616ft....The bullet actually flies an arc to account for both bullet drop and windage. I do not know what windage they had but I know at sea level the bullet will drop aprox 840ft....that is an arc and we know the shortest path is a straight line. The big mystery is the windage the shot was made under....wind will slow the bullet down dramatically so it is impossible to say definitively that the shot was subsonic at the time of impact. Wind over 2.2 miles can change course and strength DRAMATICALLY (ask me how I know...lost an olympic medal on a wind shift)!!! But I would bet the house that it that the shot was subsonic. Its like Schrödinger's cat....sure we say we dont know if the thing is dead or alive after a week in the box, but we all know if you leave a cat in a box for a week with nothing else it will be dead.

How does the scope even adjust for 840 ft of bullet drop?
The drop of the bullet will be gravity, or 32ft/s^2, so if the flight time is 10s (which seems exceedingly long) the formula is .5*a*t^2, or .5*32*10^2 = 1600 feet of drop! I just don't believe the flight time averaged that low.. If it was a 5 second flight with a good hot load behind it, that would change the equation to .5*32*5^2 = 400 ft drop.. still a lot, but closer to being manageable... I'm with you on the muzzle velocity, I'm thinking it was far higher than "standard"

I don't doubt wind over 2.2 miles is hard to deal with.. especially since it most likely won't be consistent over that distance either

Dont think for a second that shots like these are of the legendary "one shot one kill" variety. To make a shot like this you have to "walk it in" over several pulls of the trigger. Multiple shots down range (watching for the bullet splash near the target) will help the spotter gain dope and data to correct for the wind and rate of drop.

viva la figa":3frhjsy0 said:
Dont think for a second that shots like these are of the legendary "one shot one kill" variety. To make a shot like this you have to "walk it in" over several pulls of the trigger. Multiple shots down range (watching for the bullet splash near the target) will help the spotter gain dope and data to correct for the wind and rate of drop.
i agree in theory to what you,state, but i really doubt in this case that the Isis member stood in the same spot until the shooter "walked it in". I'm pretty sure when 750 grain bullets started hitting anywhere close even he looked for cover.

There was a person that I worked with had a high powered rifle I do not know what caliber. This person stated if shooting at a coyote if the bullet came within two foot of the animal that the sonic boom would kill it I did not question his position as I had to answer to him at work.

Latest posts