Could this be a hernia?

Help Support CattleToday:

ClinchValley

Reaction score
Found this heifers last night. She has a huge lump from her navel going into her udder. She is roughly 7 months old. Guess 450 pounds ish. Has been weaned since 3rd week in August.

Last night she didn't seem to be affected by whatever this is. Today, she is moving slowly. She is eating alright. A neighbor said it should go away w time. Any ideas

Haven't had time to get her up and look closer. Wondering if it could be a hernia? Wasn't sure if they have to be in milk for mastitis or...

There was a thread on here about that type of condition. Where fluid collects under the belly. I cannot remember what that is called. I am sure someone will. I will try a search.

That is ventral oedema, I wouldn't worry about it but I would be concerned with what is between her legs looks like at the back of the udder. It is what is causing the oedema that you see running down towards the brisket (all under the skin). There is no clear photograph of that swelling, the 1st shot does show it a bit but not clear. I would be looking for the likes of a stake wound or some other penetrating wound up between the legs causing it. May have abscessed.

Ken

wbvs58":51lt5p1k said:
That is ventral oedema, I wouldn't worry about it but I would be concerned with what is between her legs looks like at the back of the udder. It is what is causing the oedema that you see running down towards the brisket (all under the skin). There is no clear photograph of that swelling, the 1st shot does show it a bit but not clear. I would be looking for the likes of a stake wound or some other penetrating wound up between the legs causing it. May have abscessed.

Ken

That is it. This was on here once before, Ken. I think it was you who talked about it.

Thanks

Appreciate the information. Snake bite had crossed my mind.

It runs down the left side of her gut and udder. Stops at the beginning of the rib cage from what I can tell. It appears to me it isn't increasing in size.

See if I can get a better picture this evening. Cheap cell phone isn't doing it.

Have one just about like that right now. Pretty sure she's got mastitis, probably introduced by fly bites, but can't rule out nursing by another calf as the source.
Will be pulling them in in a few days to vaccinate; will have a chance then to evaluate better.

Pleased to report the swelling has went down about 80 percent, overnight.

Had me worried as she didn't get up with the rest of th3 calves and start eating. Went over, showed her a bucket of feed, and she slowly got up. Started chowing down.

Hoping all is good now.

Latest posts