Cotton stalk grazing

Help Support CattleToday:

barneg

Reaction score
Anyone grass their cattle on cotton stalks after harvest? If so, what kind of success did you have?

barneg":1fms29qs said:
Anyone grass their cattle on cotton stalks after harvest? If so, what kind of success did you have?

Never tried it but can't see that they would get anything from the stalks alone. If they learn to eat any bolls left on the cotton plants they would be very nutritious.

I'd think the problems with grazing cotton stalks are most cotton fields aren't fenced and the time constraints to have stalk destroyed and turned under by a certain time to help control boll weevil.

Here's a cut/n/paste from a website:

Arsenic is no longer used in cotton defoliants and thus is no longer a concern. A study conducted in Georgia evaluated cotton gin trash for evidence of residues from pesticides used in cotton production. Only one residue, tribufos (DEF) – a commonly used defoliant, was found. The average concentration found was 4.5 ppm, which is low. While tolerance levels of DEF for two other cotton by-product feeds (whole cottonseed and cottonseed hulls) have been established, a tolerance level for cotton gin trash has not been established. Therefore even if chemical residue(s) are not detected in the gin trash, it is still illegal to feed the gin trash if DEF or other, non-cleared chemicals were used during the production of the cotton crop. This restriction is in place because of the potential for chemical residues to end up in beef products

I don't grow cotton, so I can't speak from firsthand experience. However, everyone around here that grows cotton cuts the stalks a.s.a.p. once the cotton has been picked.

I never see anyone graze cattle on it.

grannysoo":1powzi1m said:
I don't grow cotton, so I can't speak from firsthand experience. However, everyone around here that grows cotton cuts the stalks a.s.a.p. once the cotton has been picked.

I never see anyone graze cattle on it.

I believe the farmer has a deadline to shred and plow in cotton stalks. Part of the bollweevil irradication program.

we always have our cattle glean the cotton and peanut fields. not only do the cows eat all the left overs (bolls and peanuts and peanut vines that escape the hayroller) but there is a lot of grass to be had around the edges of the fields and in the woods and in my case a hayfield that is included in one of these areas. one pro is that it cuts back on about 2-3 weeks of hay feeding. one con is it sets us back getting those areas planted in winter annuals. they will clean a cotton field up in no time, well before any bollweevil deadline.

edit: they dont eat the actual stalk.

I know this is an old thread. I'm waiting on the pickers to get 2- 25 acre fields picked on adjoining property and I will turn my cows in on it. This is the first year I will get to utilize it as we changed tenants last year. he is not using the stripper picker on these fields so I should have quite a bit cotton left in the field. I plan on stringing a poly tape up and only letting them have access to a couple acres a day.

wacocowboy":3pr4pc7x said:
In 2011 during the drought they baled the cotton stalk after they picked it but I don't know anyone who used it.
They won't eat the stalk but they will eats the wasted bolls and husk an grass in the fields. The seed is where value is at nearly 100% tdn. It's been done around here for years.

LRTX1":35dsvz9e said:
Any fertility issues with bulls on the cotton?
Everything I've ever read said it was only a problem with overconsumption in drought conditions. I've never Seen issues with grazing stalks.

Latest posts