Cotton seed

Help Support CattleToday:

Be aware.
I feed CSM
"Although whole cottonseed has higher amounts of gossypol than cottonseed meal, the gossypol in cottonseed meal is more readily available. ... The bound gossypol has less of an effect in the animal. It has been known for many years that gossypol is harmful."
https://animal.ifas.ufl.edu/apps/dairymedia/dpc/1998/Risco.pdf

I feed WCS. I couldn't say enough good things about it. Very good feed and cheap enough. We will be hauling some in the next few days. It's only drawback can be handling it. No augers or gravity flow . A dump trailer and fel sure helps.

I was always warned not to feed to growing bulls because of affect on their fertility, but a more recent report contradicted that info???
I LOVE WCS for my show cattle. It is great for their hair coat & skin (oils). First time hubby brought home some WCS, I said "are you kidding? They won't eat that". So, I didn't "mix" it, just kind of top dressed it so they could push it aside. They DEVOURED it.
Can't get it around here anymore, bummer!!

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
I was always warned not to feed to growing bulls because of affect on their fertility, but a more recent report contradicted that info???
I LOVE WCS for my show cattle. It is great for their hair coat & skin (oils). First time hubby brought home some WCS, I said "are you kidding? They won't eat that". So, I didn't "mix" it, just kind of top dressed it so they could push it aside. They DEVOURED it.
Can't get it around here anymore, bummer!!
Personally I have never had a problem with CS but it was not their only source of feed. In my book it's kinda like acorns never had a problem but my cows weren't that hungry.
It can cause heart and liver issues.
http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-1952/VTMD-9116-2015.pdf

Extension says two pounds corn to one pound of meal. I figure same for seed. Was planning to store seed and corn in barrels. Any tips to keep from spoiling?

I feed 8lbs per head per day to my cows during the winter (4-5 months). Been doing it for years with no ill effects. But they also have all the good hay they can eat.

I haul it in peanut wagons. Then dip it into used plastic mineral tubs with a grain shovel. Holds about 80 lbs. load it in the truck and Haul it to the trough and pour it in. The labor pretty much sucks but it's dang good feed and it's affordable. I'm gonna improve my system one day when funds allow.

JMJ Farms said:
I feed 8lbs per head per day to my cows during the winter (4-5 months). Been doing it for years with no ill effects. But they also have all the good hay they can eat.

I haul it in peanut wagons. Then dip it into used plastic mineral tubs with a grain shovel. Holds about 80 lbs. load it in the truck and Haul it to the trough and pour it in. The labor pretty much sucks but it's dang good feed and it's affordable. I'm gonna improve my system one day when funds allow.

Can you get it in super sacks?

Caustic Burno said:
JMJ Farms said:

No. Not here. Has to be bulk. I have a dump trailer but it's only 12' and I can't haul enough to make it feasible. I think next year I'm gonna pour a slab under roof and buy it by the semi load. I will feed 2 loads per year and that would save time, may be able to get a discount on price, and I'd be able to scoop it up with my FEL. Just have to work on some different troughs. Not sure I can "ring" what I have with the FEL. I'd really love to have a mixer wagon. But that'll have to wait.

Caustic Burno said:
Neighbor uses FEL to dump in gravity feeder. He fills FEL out of super sacks.
I designed my feeder so I could load it with FEL or super sack.

What keeps it from "bridging"?

JMJ Farms said:
Caustic Burno said:
Neighbor uses FEL to dump in gravity feeder. He fills FEL out of super sacks.
I designed my feeder so I could load it with FEL or super sack.

What keeps it from "bridging"?

About a 6 inch gap at the bottom of the Vee. You can hear the cows butt the sides in the house a 100 yards away to make it flow. I have had to bust a bridge a few times due to high humidity for days. Cows let me know right quick they weren't happy.

JMJ Farms said:
Caustic Burno said:
JMJ Farms said:

No. Not here. Has to be bulk. I have a dump trailer but it's only 12' and I can't haul enough to make it feasible. I think next year I'm gonna pour a slab under roof and buy it by the semi load. I will feed 2 loads per year and that would save time, may be able to get a discount on price, and I'd be able to scoop it up with my FEL. Just have to work on some different troughs. Not sure I can "ring" what I have with the FEL. I'd really love to have a mixer wagon. But that'll have to wait.

I use it when I don't have good oat pasture
I haul it in my 16 ' dump. I can get close to 4 ton .packed down real good. And the gin is close enough. I store it on a slab under roof. Used to use the molasses tubs to haul to troughs , now I use a skidsteer bucket and just shake out in piles on the ground. They clean it up good enough. I can't imagine it flowing through a gravity feeder, haven't tried it though. I did. Put some up mixed with two parts wsc a few years ago in a homemade bin in the loft of my barn. Has a 6" pipe for a chute. Spent the winter running a stick up it every day.

I buy WSC by the ton. Have a bin up in my hayloft, so it is blown in. I thought about having it mixed, but was afraid it wouldn't "blow" or "flow". Don't need to worry about it anymore. Can't get it.

callmefence said:
I use it when I don't have good oat pasture
I haul it in my 16 ' dump. I can get close to 4 ton .packed down real good. And the gin is close enough. I store it on a slab under roof. Used to use the molasses tubs to haul to troughs , now I use a skidsteer bucket and just shake out in piles on the ground. They clean it up good enough. I can't imagine it flowing through a gravity feeder, haven't tried it though. I did. Put some up mixed with two parts wsc a few years ago in a homemade bin in the loft of my barn. Has a 6" pipe for a chute. Spent the winter running a stick up it every day.

Yeah those mineral tubs get old. Keeps your arms strong but tough on the back. I can't see it flowing through my gravity feeder but maybe I'll try it.
Had a friend that tried it and he had to dig it out. But he hauled feeder to gin. Filled it up. And pulled it home. The ride home bouncing had to make it settle. If you could fill it up in the field it may work better.
Feeding on the ground or in old tractor tires is probably the best bang for your buck. Mineral tubs and troughs are labor intensive and takes time and we all know time is money.
And I too much prefer oats or rye grazing but I don't have enough acres to have enough so my grazing is always limited.

Latest posts